Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » When you hear of National Guard being called up to work healthcare facilities, what do you think they are doing?

When you hear of National Guard being called up to work healthcare facilities, what do you think they are doing?

At the hospital I work at, very few of them are doing patient care.
Most of them are working as housekeepers, cafeteria workers, or greeters.
All simple jobs that could be performed by anyone willing to work - at union wage, I might add.
And yet, the government has to pull National Guard members away from their regular jobs to fill these positions to keep the hospital operating at normal levels.

THIS is why many people believe we should require people receiving government assistance to get jobs.

Posted - September 24, 2021

Responses

A recent picture I seen was of a NG member doing lawn care.  

Clinton actually passed that law when he was President.  But it quite being enforced.  I know a few women who benefited from it. Gaining a career because they had to work anyway. 
      September 24, 2021 9:04 AM MDT

It is so difficult to find anyone willing to work as a Housekeeper, that our hospital is offering a $1000 hiring bonus.
    If the person is referred by an employee - that employee gets a $500 bonus.

And yet, I keep hearing from locals "how difficult it is to find a job".
    BUNK!
    They mean "How difficult it is to find a job that will pay me a $200k salary, given my lack of skills for anything other than menial labor".
      September 24, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

Too many got used to that $800/week for not working.  

My first real job was Housekeeper at a nursing home. 
      September 24, 2021 1:41 PM MDT

I thought they were supposed to be protecting people, and if that's the case, I don't think much of it. It's their job.
      September 24, 2021 1:52 PM MDT

They are taking the place of people who will not go back to work. 
      September 25, 2021 5:32 AM MDT

Couldn't agree more Walt.  
      October 3, 2021 8:13 AM MDT