Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Would a person's year of retirement also be a good time for the person to die?

Would a person's year of retirement also be a good time for the person to die?

They are no longer useful anyway except for yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" at innocent kids.

Posted - October 3, 2021

Responses

What makes a person "no longer useful" once they retire? 

Does their brain stop functioning?  (We’re sorry, but that model’s been discontinued.)

Isn’t retirement want most people work FOR?  Kind of like graduation.  (No more bosses, no more greetings, no more attending those boring meetings!)

Retirees get to sit back and laugh at the younger generation when they gripe and complain about having to go to work every day.  (Sure is cold and icy out there… oh, that’s right, I’m retired.  I get to stay inside where it’s nice and warm.)

Retires have extra time to write their memoirs (“Don’t tell me I don’t know ****!” - The life of a Sewage Processing Technician).

October 3, 2021 3:28 PM MDT

'Course retirement is nice for the retiree but no longer of any use  for the employer where they were employed. They are no longer productive then also the company has to pay out pensions...
      October 3, 2021 4:00 PM MDT

Believe me, the employer doesn't give a rats butt about a retired person.  They hired a new "body" to fill any void, and in a few months won't even remember the retirees name.  
      October 3, 2021 10:42 PM MDT

Few companies in the US pay pensions, any more.
    Most have gone to allowing employees to invest in 403 retirement plans ... so the employee is risking their own money.

Also - retirees are a major source of tourism revenue.
      October 4, 2021 7:40 AM MDT

This is one of my biggest fears. I’ve been saving money since I first started working for retirement and I’ve managed to save a fairly good amount so far. My luck would be to die before I touch my mini fortune. 
      October 3, 2021 4:15 PM MDT

Oh no!  ..Naah, that would never happen.
      October 3, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

Hope you’re right lol. 
      October 3, 2021 5:11 PM MDT

Not for the retiree, of course, but I can see your point. Once a person stops being productive, are they just using up resources? I like to think I am continuing to contribute by spending all the money I squirrelled away for retirement and keeping the retail and hospitality industries in business. 
      October 3, 2021 8:55 PM MDT

I still have a purpose. I have been keeping my wife busy helping me dress, shower, cooking and shopping. And driving me to appointments etc. Oh...I still pay all of the bills.
      October 4, 2021 8:16 AM MDT

Interesting trivia ... in Russia, the retirement age for men is also the year they reach the average life span.
    For women, I believe it is 2 years before the average life span.
      October 4, 2021 8:31 AM MDT