Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » 2500 years ago Buddha said 'consciousness exists in the stone', lately scientists determine that 'consciousness is a fundamental property of

2500 years ago Buddha said 'consciousness exists in the stone', lately scientists determine that 'consciousness is a fundamental property of

Matter'', basically saying the same thing, referring to consciousness at a very basic or primative level. Our brain processes the basic form of consciousness and creates emotions, awaresess (our 5 senses) and other factors that make us alive and living beings.

What do you think of this concept?

Posted - October 8, 2021

Responses

Nope.  I don't buy it.
    Animals and plants ... I don't doubt have consciousness.
    Inorganic matter?  Dead organisms?  Nope.  They will have to show me.
      October 8, 2021 10:04 AM MDT

Scientists have determined that consciousness does not form in the brain and must originate from some source that the brain can pick up from  but what, where and how?
      October 8, 2021 1:19 PM MDT

According to the definition I use, "consciousness" is the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
    Any one who says any matter has a "consciousness" will have to prove to me that it's aware of its surroundings.
    I would even make it simple for them ... just prove a rock is aware of its surroundings.

But scientists have been arguing for decades what "consciousness" is, and where it comes from.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness#Types_of_consciousness
      October 8, 2021 2:08 PM MDT

When you sleep you are not unconscious. 
      October 8, 2021 2:52 PM MDT

The idea is that the rock (matter) has consciousness but does not have the animal/human brain required to create awareness from it.
      October 9, 2021 11:34 PM MDT

Then they need to define what they mean by "consciousness".
    Every definition I can find includes "awareness" in some form.
      October 11, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

Alternate theory of consciousness: some philosophers and scientists have adopted an alternative view, that consciousness is not a direct product of the brain but a fundamental quality- like mass or gravity- a basic quality of material particles.

-The conversation.com.

Consciousness as a basis that enables life to begin from non-living matter, when life ends you are not 100% dead but you return to the original state of consciousness sans awareness again.

Consciousness as the force that enables a placebo to be effective... 

'Your inner strength'.
      October 11, 2021 7:54 PM MDT

Sounds a lot like "Universal Consciousness", to me.
    Which is a religious, rather than scientific, debate.
      October 12, 2021 11:25 AM MDT

I think consciousness can mean states of awareness as well as a natural alternative force rather than believing in supernatural/spiritual forces.
      October 13, 2021 8:49 PM MDT

Never begin a sentence with numerals. "About 2500 years ago," or "Twenty-five hundred years ago,"

Comma needed following "ago." Also, "exists in the stone" is a full stop ending a complete sentence, so it takes a period rather than a comma. "Lately" should thus be capitalized and needs a following comma. And since scientists have already done their determining, it should read, "Lately, scientists have determined..."

But otherwise, it's perfect! This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at October 11, 2021 12:08 PM MDT
      October 8, 2021 10:30 AM MDT

Technically speaking, you can’t cite Kit for starting a sentence using numbers and then in your example of the correct way to write numbers, you’ve written numbers, only you’ve spelled them out using letters and words.

It would be more accurate to state that a sentence cannot start expressed by numbers instead of letters.
    ~

October 11, 2021 12:00 PM MDT

Or "numerals."
      October 11, 2021 12:09 PM MDT

Prior to posting my response to you, I sought the definitions of the words “number, numbers, numeral, numerals, numerical, numerically”, etc. I discovered that each of them has connotations for both numbers written in word form and for those written in numerical form (raw numbers or number symbols). As such, it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what one means in comparing one method to the other method merely by using one of the words. 

“Numerals” can be represented either way. When numerals are written out in word form using letters, they are still numerals. For instance, the words “fox, dog, horse, alligator” are all animals in at least one of their respective definitions, so they are also animals. “Cup, glass, plate, saucer, fork” are all dishes and utensils or dining-related in at least one of their respective definitions. “Bone, skin, vein, bladder” are all anatomy-related. “Seven, ninety thousand, ten, eighty-four” are all numbers, as are “7, 90,000, 10, 84”.
    ~

October 11, 2021 2:14 PM MDT

But twenty-five hundred is a number expressed in words, while 2,500 is expressed in numerals. Words are words and numerals are numerals! Grrrrr.
      October 11, 2021 2:18 PM MDT

Ok, here we go again. Words are words and numerals are numerals, you’re absolutely right.

Twenty-five hundred is a numeral too. A numeral that is written out in word form.
    ~

October 11, 2021 2:27 PM MDT

Twenty-five hundred is a number, 2500 is group of numerals. Grrrrr.
      October 11, 2021 6:22 PM MDT

I agree, 2500 is a group of numerals that is written in numerical form, and twenty-five hundred is a number that represents that same numeral written in word form. The numerical form should not be used to start sentences.

October 11, 2021 6:44 PM MDT

My original point exactly!
      October 11, 2021 6:46 PM MDT

Must be a different meaning of consciousness. I agree with Walt. 
      October 8, 2021 7:03 PM MDT