Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Eight people were killed, hundreds were injured in a stampede at the Travis Scott concert in Houston, Tx on Fri, Nov 5th, 2021.

Eight people were killed, hundreds were injured in a stampede at the Travis Scott concert in Houston, Tx on Fri, Nov 5th, 2021.

First of all, I have never heard of Travis Scott until the news came out about this tragedy, so I don’t really have a dog in this fight. His is not a genre music that I listen to or follow, so it’s not surprising that I’ve never heard of him. There are allegations that from the stage, Scott incited the stampede with his challenges to the audience to an almost riot-like state of activity, and that he has a history of such conduct at previous appearances of his.  In fact, Scott was convicted for the same type of charges in a Chicago, Il incident. In the aftermath of the most recent tragedy, there are shouts of multi-million dollar lawsuits against him and/or against the promoters, the insurers, etc.

On the news this morning, there are calls for the promoters of his upcoming concerts to take him off of the bill.

It seems to me that concert-goers themselves have power here simply by not buying tickets to see him, and the fewer tickets sold, it seems there’s less likelihood that he’ll remain on any bill for concert promoters to make any profit from his performance. Why can’t consumers just vote with their feet here?
~

Posted - November 9, 2021

Responses

I don't think it matters much who the entertainer is, the same sort of thing could happen. The promoters  (money grubbers) may be a a bit lax in having enough properly trained security people to manage crowd control -and be knowledgeable about handling medical crisis.
      November 9, 2021 9:48 AM MST

In this particular case, the facts that make it matter are that he’s done this before, apparently has a penchant for including in his live “act” calling for the audience to surge and charge the stage, and calling for audience members to be violent. Additionally, it matters who he is because it’s even risen to the level that he was put on trial and found culpable for the exact same type of actions. 

I don’t think that Scott himself is solely responsible here. The “fans” who feed off of his kind of shenanigans, especially those who know beforehand that it’s a staple of his yet still attend the events, and especially those who intentionally, actively and enthusiastically participate in the violence are equally responsible. They may attempt to hide behind some figurative wall of “I was just there to enjoy the music” or “I just got swept up into everything that was going on”, but it’s been discovered there’s a recording of a staffer briefing some security personnel that it’s expected to happen based on the history of how Scott and/or the audience acts. Some people may be going to Scott’s live events because they will have the opportunity to act out. 

The point on which I do agree with you, however, is more along the lines that Scott isn’t the only “entertainer” who incites live crowds to violence, and that Scott’s audiences aren’t the only audiences who perpetrate it.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at November 12, 2021 4:18 AM MST
      November 9, 2021 11:15 AM MST

The same thing happened at a 'The Who' concert in Cincinnati in 1979. 11 killed. I agree with you. Oh, I looked up Travis Scott. (not his real name) With no stupid stage name and no criminal record, how can he be a proper rapper? This post was edited by Element 99 at November 11, 2021 6:52 AM MST
      November 9, 2021 10:11 AM MST

Tx  TX
      November 9, 2021 10:17 AM MST

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Either method of abbreviating the states’ names is correct. Thank you.
    ~
      November 9, 2021 11:17 AM MST

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/state-abbreviations.htm
      November 9, 2021 11:41 AM MST

Either method of abbreviating the states’ names is correct.

Do you abbreviate SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT and JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC, or is it incorrect to use lowercase on all but the first letter?

Thank you.
    ~
      November 9, 2021 12:16 PM MST

Hopefully he'll be held responsible, It's not the first Travis Scott has incited a riot, mute his punk ass like they did to R Kelly. 
      November 9, 2021 1:31 PM MST

why does it matter how people boycott him so long as it's done? whether they just don't buy his tickets  or they call for him to be removed from line ups, it shouldn't matter so long as he suffers the consequences. he puts his audience and danger and i think it's good that festivals as a whole have no plans on him performing again. he is also being sued by several concert goers that I remember. his career is over 
      November 9, 2021 3:01 PM MST

Sounds good in theory, but most of his fans are at an age where their brains are not fully developed. 
      November 9, 2021 6:50 PM MST

I’m still trying to figure out why any parents would take their young children to a crap “concert”, or allow their children to attend. One of the youngest victims of the stampede is a 9-year-old, correct? 

:(

November 11, 2021 7:12 AM MST

They want to teach them how to dress and give them a sense of style.  This is so they can become useful citizens who are motivated to get an education and a good job. 
      November 11, 2021 9:13 AM MST

Hey, wait . . . !

~

November 11, 2021 9:56 AM MST

I know, it's just the opposite. A bit of sarcasm for the day. :  )
      November 11, 2021 1:17 PM MST

I know, I caught the sarcasm immediately.

:)

November 11, 2021 1:28 PM MST

Oh yay,  :   )
      November 11, 2021 5:07 PM MST

Yes, and that child is now in a coma.
      November 11, 2021 2:18 PM MST

:(

November 11, 2021 2:58 PM MST

LOL ... I have a feeling that most of his fans, no matter how old they get, will still have undeveloped brains.
      November 11, 2021 2:01 PM MST

I think most fans will still go thinking 'It can never happen to me.'  Especially if ticket prices drop. 

I was at the Guns N Roses riot in St Louis. Security was crap.  I was not harmed and had no worry about going back to the same venue months later for a Metallica concert.  Security was better then but I still had a cousin who snuck a camera inside. This post was edited by my2cents at November 11, 2021 7:59 PM MST
      November 11, 2021 6:52 AM MST

concert-goers concertgoers. A prime example of the needless hyphen. I thought you would know better.
      November 11, 2021 12:17 PM MST

I think that to some extent, it is the responsibility of the concertgoer to assess the likelihood of safety, especially at a rap concert where people don't seem to be assigned to seats, but rather have to stand, increasing the possibility that the crowd will surge towards the stage and anyone in its way could be trampled.  One of the injured was a 9-year old child who was knocked off his dad's shoulders, fell to the ground and was trampled when the crowd surged and he is now in a coma.  This begs the question:  who brings a 9-year old to a mosh pit type rap concert?  

There were about 50,000 people at that concert.  No number of security or police officers would have been able to hold back the surge of a crowd large. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 11, 2021 8:00 PM MST
      November 11, 2021 2:15 PM MST