Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Am I a criminal?

Am I a criminal?

Hello:

It should come as no surprise that I have been convicted of criminal behavior..  But, the behavior I was convicted of, is now legal.  So, 1) am I still a criminal?  2) Can I sue the government for false imprisonment?  3) Do I get my rights back?  4) Am I owed a public apology?  5)  What do we do about the people who're STILL in jail for that same behavior?

excon

Posted - November 23, 2021

Responses

1) You are not now a criminal, but you were at the time.

2) No, due to you being a criminal at the time of imprisonment.

3) Yes, you should.

4) No, because you were a criminal at the time of conviction/imprisonment.

5) If the ONLY reason they are imprisoned is an act that is now legal, they should be released.
    That actually has been done for many people convicted under drug laws that have since been repealed.  However, there were also many people who were convicted of other crime(s) at the same time as their drug conviction - and they were not released due to being convicted of those other crimes.
      November 23, 2021 7:30 AM MST

Hello Walt:

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want the apology because I've been butt hurt by them..  I want it so that they RECOGNIZE the error of their ways, and to GUARANTEE nothing like this will ever happen again. 

Yes, there's a huge racial component in the equation.

excon This post was edited by excon at November 24, 2021 5:56 PM MST
      November 23, 2021 8:47 AM MST

1) am I still a criminal? 

Yes, you are still an convicted criminal because it was illegal when you committed the action.

2) Can I sue the government for false imprisonment? 

No, it was illegal at the time you committed the action.

3) Do I get my rights back? 

If you have not other convictions, you should be allowed to get your rights back.

4) Am I owed a public apology? 

No, again it was illegal at the time.

5)  What do we do about the people who're STILL in jail for that same behavior?

If they were only convicted of the crime now legal they should be released. 
      November 23, 2021 11:38 AM MST

My opinion is that you’re not a criminal, your record should be expunged and you should have all of your rights restored, but I don’t know how that actually works where you live.
      November 23, 2021 12:01 PM MST

Hello L:

Where have you been all my life?

excon
      November 23, 2021 6:35 PM MST

The above answers are reasonable, but unfortunate. BUT, in the eyes of the grammar police (not me), you have committed a punctuation crime. I am curious about the racial aspect.
      November 23, 2021 1:36 PM MST

Why don't you consult an attorney instead of asking a bunch of random bozos like us?
      November 23, 2021 2:18 PM MST

Hello Stu:

Well, I'm not gonna do anything about it, so I wondered what random bozos thought.

excon
      November 23, 2021 2:43 PM MST

LOL
      November 23, 2021 5:37 PM MST

Google Alan Turing.
      November 23, 2021 9:51 PM MST