Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What is something about other drivers that irks you?

What is something about other drivers that irks you?

I hate when people use a parking lot for their personal racetrack. I have been almost hit numerous times. One of these days I'm going to hit the side of a car and fall on the pavement.

Posted - January 26, 2022

Responses

Lots of things but, the one that irks me the most are drivers who don't slow down/take more caution during bouts of inclement weather (either mild or severe).  I can't tell you how many times the rain has been coming down like a sheet or there has been a half foot of snow or more on the ground yet people continue to either drive directly on your tail or whiz by you like you're standing still.

January 26, 2022 4:16 PM MST

A lot really.  Here are just of few things:

So much backing out of parking spaces, even when it isn't necessary.  That is when so many accidents, including hitting people walking, happens.  I always back into parking spaces.  Very small chance of hitting someone backing in.  Good chance of hitting a person or another car backing out.

I park at the back of parking lots away from others.  It never fails when I return to the car someone is parked next to me.

Where I live I've noticed that when people pass on the interstate they don't change lanes until they are right on my tail.  It sometimes scares the heck out of me.   I75 is filled with the craziest drivers/driving I've ever experienced.

When I see people make a right hand turn and then an immediate left into a parking lot rather than just turning right from the main road into the parking lot  I want to scream at them.  I remember that one from high school drivers ed.  If you can avoid a left turn, do.

It's illegal here but I see people texting frequently and tell them to stop if they look at me. 

Old people should drive small cars, but here they don't.  They love the Cadillacs.  They have trouble staying in their lane and when making a right turn they need four lanes (two on both roads) to accomplish the perfect swing-out to turn maneuver. 

Light turns red and no one moves...drives me crazy.  Light turns red and someone immediately blows their horn...drives me crazy.  There is the perfect behavior in this situation but many haven't found it.

People can't read.  In my state, like many others, we have the move-over law....you safely move into the left lane when there is an emergency vehicle on the shoulder or in emergency lane.  I feel like I'm the only driver who knows the meaning of emergency vehicle and how it is different from Corvettes, Explorers, and F150s.   When any vehicle is on the shoulder people will cause wrecks to move over.  

I decided quite a while ago that I didn't have to educate the world.  Those fools are going to be the end of us. 

January 26, 2022 4:31 PM MST

That they're on the road.  Driving would be a whole lot safer if they'd just keep those (stupid) "other drivers" off the road!
      January 26, 2022 5:45 PM MST

the fact that they exist and are driving on the same road as me. i should get my own personal road 
      January 26, 2022 6:58 PM MST

Marry me.
      January 26, 2022 7:38 PM MST

Thriftymaid has covered many things I would have posted, but I would like to add that I hate it when other drivers don't use their directional signals or give you one flash as they scoot in front of your car as if you didn't already know they were changing lanes.  

I don't like it when I'm driving in the middle or right lane and the left lane is clear for the car behind me to pass, yet they insist on getting as close as possible thinking I'm the one who should move out of their way.  I drive a compact car and it's usually someone in an SUV who does this.  I am not a slow driver - I'm usually doing 10-15 miles over the limit when possible, so if I'm not flying fast enough for you, PASS ME.

Conversely, drivers who do the exact speed limit or lower in the passing lane.  If you can't go 50 mph on the highway, WALK!  Look in your rearview mirror - if there's a long line of cars behind you and no one in front for half a mile - MOVE INTO THE RIGHT LANE!

January 27, 2022 7:33 AM MST

People who seem to have no idea what that stick beside the steering wheel is for. If failure to use one's indicator was POLICED (its an offence that attracts a fine, if enforced) , the state government could provide everything for free. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 28, 2022 6:24 AM MST
      January 28, 2022 6:23 AM MST