Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do you have any trailer parks nearby? Do you know anyone who lives in one?

Do you have any trailer parks nearby? Do you know anyone who lives in one?

Posted - January 27, 2022

Responses

There are a few.
    They seem to be about 1/2 low income "trash" ... and 1/2 low income senior citizens, who can't afford the monthly lease of the Adult (age 50+) mobile home parks.

My grandpa lived in one for a few years until he died.
    He could have stayed in the home he owned, but sold it rather than worry about maintaining it - and condos weren't available at the time.
      January 27, 2022 11:33 AM MST

My mom lived in one in FL.
      January 27, 2022 11:47 AM MST

i live in a nice suburb on the outside of Toronto, so no. The further you go in to the city the less space there is, so unlikely there is any there. I'm sure there are some the further away from Toronto you go
      January 27, 2022 12:06 PM MST

Yeah...Buffalo.
      January 27, 2022 2:31 PM MST

No. 

However, there are couple of mobile home parks around here. 
    I used to know a lady who lived there, but she died (at the ripe old age of 100).
      January 27, 2022 12:15 PM MST

I live in one of the five boroughs of NYC, so there aren't any trailer parks.
      January 27, 2022 1:33 PM MST

My hometown is too small to have one but the closest cities to me that have more than 10000 people have mobile home parks.  My mom lives in one of them.  She lives in the dumpiest one in town.  The mobile homes are all rusty.  The roads aren’t paved.  My father-in-law used to live in one.  That one was a retirement community.

The one thing that my mom and my F-I-L have in common is that they’re both absolutely terrible with money.  They’re walking financial disasters.  My F-I-L now lives in a state group home and the state took over his finances.  He won’t talk to us anymore.  My mom has almost no retirement savings so I have no idea how we’re going to handle that.
      January 27, 2022 1:51 PM MST

There is a cheap one in town. I do not know anyone who lives there.
    My daughter lives in a "mobile home community," it has strict rules about the trailers, yard, etc.  Most people who live there are retired people.  
      January 27, 2022 2:03 PM MST

Few and far in between
      January 27, 2022 2:43 PM MST

No.  There are quite a few subdivisions that are completely built with manufactured homes....double wide mobile homes.  You can buy one for a reasonable amount but then you have around an $800/monthly HOA fee.  You don't own any land.  I don't know anyone who lives in one of those subdivisions.  Many people live along the canals in double-wide manufactured home but they own their land.  And it is very expensive land.  Right now the prices are up so high that an old home on one of those lots is going for a half million dollars and higher.  I don't get it, but, the people coming into Florida from the north are paying top dollar. 
      January 27, 2022 5:31 PM MST

Trailer parks don't grow in Brooklyn.
      January 27, 2022 5:37 PM MST

There is one about a mile away from me. It looks pretty decent from the main road, but I've never driven into it. 

I can't think of anyone I know who lives in a park, but I do know a couple of people who live in trailers/mobile homes. I worry about them when tornados are around. 
      January 27, 2022 7:47 PM MST

The nearest is a few miles away. I don't know any of the inhabitants. I stay at them only when I'm on vacation and it's too cold to camp.
      January 27, 2022 8:47 PM MST

We have one in town but I don't know anyone who lives there. 
      January 28, 2022 6:34 AM MST