Discussion » Questions » Transportation » When do you decide that it is time to acquire a new car?

When do you decide that it is time to acquire a new car?

Posted - February 6, 2022

Responses

Should I Repair or Just Replace My Old Car?

ByAlan Henry
    and Lisa Rowan
    10/23/19 10:28AM  jjjj

One of life’s simple pleasures is not having to make a car payment every month. Your trusty ride is paid off, only costing you for gas, insurance and repairs.

But eventually, those repairs start adding up, with even routine maintenance inching up into the hundreds-of-dollars realm. Your ride doesn’t seem as trusty as it once was. Is it time to retire your ride and buy a new car, or stick it out for the long haul?

It can seem like a fine line between when your old, well-loved car is costing you more money than a new one would, but it’s not difficult to make the call here. Part of it is math, and part of it is just taking a good look at your personal situation. In the end, both factors should determine whether a new (or new to you) car is in your future, or you should stick with your tried-and-true ride until the wheels fall off.
    Related Stories
    How to Identify What Fluid Is Leaking From Your Car
    How to Add Perlite to Your Soil (and When You Should)
    How to Measure Ice Accumulation (Because It's Different From Snow)
    How much are you paying for maintenance?

The first, and perhaps biggest question you should ask is how much are you paying in repairs? Even a couple hundred dollars in regular maintenance every several months is less than any new (or used!) car payment would be.

If you’re looking to save some cash on regular maintenance, the best way is to start doing some of it yourself. Simple things you probably pay a dealer or a mechanic to do, like changing your oil, checking your fluids (and adding more when levels are low), changing spark plugs and replacing air filters are all things you can easily do yourself with a little research.

Search for how-to videos for your car’s make, model and year, or check out your vehicle’s Haynes manual for a wealth of information on how to do your own repairs. Odds are, someone online has detailed instructions on how to do the work you need done, and some things—like changing oil or replacing an air filter—are so simple you’ll be surprised you’ve been paying someone else to do them for you.
    How much do you pay for repairs?

Of course, bigger issues that you’re not comfortable handing on your own (or that you don’t think are worth your time versus your money) should be handled by a mechanic that you trust.

Beyond regular maintenance, here are some things to consider before agreeing to undergo major repairs.
    Image for article titled Should I Repair or Just Replace My Old Car?
    Ask Auto Mechanics to Show You the Problem to Avoid Getting Ripped Off

Most mechanics aren’t looking to cheat you out of money, but auto repairs are expensive. That goes…
    Read more
    Is the repair less than a few months’ car payment on a new vehicle?

If the repair costs less than a single month and your vehicle is paid off, it’s a no-brainer. If it’s less than a couple of months and you think that you’ll be able to go a while without additional repairs or maintenance costs, it makes sense to go ahead and get the repairs done.

Where you start running into trouble is when you start to have more months when your car requires repairs than months when it doesn’t. “If the repair costs are regularly looking like car payments, it may be time to move on,” Tom McParland of car-buying service Automatch Consulting (and a writer at Jalopnik) said.
    Is the repair less than half of the car’s market value?

If the answer is yes, then you’re better off doing the repair. For more sporadic repairs or maintenance you may have neglected, if you take your car to a mechanic and they quote you $1,500 on a vehicle that’s worth $4,000, you’re probably still better off getting the work done. If you know your vehicle is only worth about $2,000 however, it probably doesn’t make much sense unless you can spread those repairs out over a period of time that makes it worthwhile and financially feasible for you.

Investing in the repairs could increase the trade-in or sale value of your used car, too. If you’re not sure of the market value of your car and aren’t sure whether you’re driving a genuine clunker, check Edmunds’ used car appraisal tool or its Kelley Blue Book value.

If you’re still weighing the issue, AGCO Auto has a detailed calculator on its site that can help you weigh the costs of keeping your car versus buying a new one.

https://lifehacker.com/should-i-repair-or-just-replace-my-old-car-484335393

February 6, 2022 12:05 PM MST

Very good, thank you.
      February 6, 2022 12:44 PM MST

I don't read novelettes.
      February 6, 2022 2:12 PM MST

I don't either and I never copy/paste but I glanced at this and didn't realize it was so long. 

I've never heard the word novelettes, but I like it...it sounds like a 60s girl group.  ;)
      February 6, 2022 5:13 PM MST

Shorter than a novel, longer than a short story. I don't know what the cutoff is.
      February 7, 2022 8:40 AM MST

That is my definition for my word as well...novella.   
      February 7, 2022 2:08 PM MST

TL;DR
      February 6, 2022 10:51 PM MST

English required.
      February 7, 2022 1:57 PM MST

Too Long; Didn't Read.
      February 7, 2022 2:29 PM MST

Nowadays, you are also faced with higher vehicle tax, higher road and parking charges and exclusion from some roads for older vehicles. 
      February 7, 2022 10:39 AM MST

When the thing won't work and it ain't worth the money to have it repaired.
      February 6, 2022 12:56 PM MST

When parts are no longer available.

February 6, 2022 2:11 PM MST

I usually trade up when better safety features are available.
      February 6, 2022 3:26 PM MST

When the repairs become uneconomic. I junked an old Volvo 144 when I dropped a rail in the gearbox - a new box would have cost more than the car did.
      February 6, 2022 10:53 PM MST

When it starts needing repaired all the time. 
    My truck is about there. Planning to replace it sometime this year.
      February 7, 2022 6:52 AM MST

Never. My rides come from Uber and Zipcar (local) and Avis (out-of-town).
      February 7, 2022 7:28 AM MST

I try to avoid the MOT, but recently delivery times have extended. 
      February 7, 2022 10:36 AM MST

When the repairs are more than the vehicle is worth afterwards.
      February 7, 2022 1:15 PM MST

Folks who don't have to worry about money can replace it anytime.  People like me replace when fixing up the old one costs more than buying another one.  The problem is you never know what shape the next vehicle will be in.  You might be buying one with as many problems as your current vehicle. So, in reality it is safer just to fix up your older one, at least you know what you have. 
    The vehicle I own now is my last one, I'll hang on to it as long as possible. 

This post was edited by Honey Dew at February 9, 2022 1:28 PM MST
      February 7, 2022 2:09 PM MST

True.
    Unfortunately, modern vehicles are beyond the capability of most DIY mechanics because of all the computerization.
    I generally figure at least 50% of the price of a used vehicle will need to be spent on repairs, and take that into consideration when looking at a used vehicle.
    Of course, CARFAX helps some, as it shows accident/repair/maintenance history.
      February 7, 2022 2:36 PM MST

Thank You.
      February 7, 2022 3:04 PM MST

When it begins doing this every time I shift the gear.

February 7, 2022 5:01 PM MST

Yeah!
      February 7, 2022 6:42 PM MST