Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » When did a subjective thought become a fact for the world?

When did a subjective thought become a fact for the world?

I refer to the assumption that the only beautiful weather is sunny, blue-sky, cloudless, hot days.

I posted the following on another question a while ago -- and in my lifetime, I still wonder about it all:

. . . all (I) keep hearing for (my) entire life is how BEAUTIFUL hot and sunny weather is? And how dreary, ugly and gloomy "MY" beautiful weather is?

Ever since a very young boy, I have always preferred many beautifully gray various-shaped clouds in the sky, or very overcast with no visible blue sky, and cool temperatures. Constantly I've noticed  - - from all people and all weather forecasters -- that I am simply wrong in what I find beautiful.

Now, everyone get out there and enjoy the beautiful sunny and 80-degrees weather this weekend.

Posted - April 24, 2022

Responses

I'm thinking a move to a more stormy, rainy climate might be what you need! I hear Seattle and San Francisco are nice! :) 

I agree that at least a few clouds make the sky more interesting, esp at sunrise and sunset! 

People appreciate different weather. My idea of a perfect temp day is too cool for some and too warm for others. To each their own. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. 
      April 24, 2022 8:07 PM MDT

Perhaps I'm hyper-focused on people's weather comments, but, for me, I hear few people say it as open-mindedly as you have here.

It seems to always be those hot sunny days when people say "Get out there and enjoy the day! Enjoy the sun!"

And seldom do I hear from weather forecasters, "Hang in there- - only a few more sunny days to get through and the clouds and rain will then come back for us to enjoy." I often hear the opposite, though. :)

When I was in about third grade in school, I specifically remember thinking, "I want to move to Seattle" when the teacher was talking about how much it rains there.  :)

Thanks for answering! :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 25, 2022 8:29 PM MDT
      April 24, 2022 8:14 PM MDT

I hear you. I think 80 is hot enough and 70 is just about perfect (to me). You can keep the rain, though. I'd prefer it only to rain at night. :)

The Emerald City! Road trip!
      April 25, 2022 7:46 PM MDT

:) Yes!

(And my favorite parts of that movie are the scenes filmed in black-and-white! ha!)

I love rain at night, too.
      April 25, 2022 7:51 PM MDT

I like sunny weather, but there are times when I'm just as happy that it's overcast or rainy.  My ideal temp is 60-65 at night and 70-75 during the day with low humidity and a mild breeze.  I do not like hot, humid weather at all.  
      April 24, 2022 8:56 PM MDT

I could share weather with you.  :)
      April 25, 2022 6:56 PM MDT

Welcome aboard. :)
      April 26, 2022 8:21 PM MDT

Subjectively, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a seedy 2-star No-Tell Motel! (Please make sure Ansley reads that. Cough, cough.)

~

April 24, 2022 9:01 PM MDT

Ha!!!

Very good!  :)
      April 25, 2022 6:55 PM MDT

Nothing wrong with it for you, maybe! 

Why would she sit on the bedspread!? Doesn't she know they don't wash those often? 
      April 25, 2022 7:51 PM MDT

Sitting? That’s nothing compared to how she’ll soon be sprawled out all over it. 

~

April 25, 2022 8:25 PM MDT

April 26, 2022 4:43 PM MDT

Four points of the compass, Baby. Assume the position. 

~

April 27, 2022 8:02 AM MDT

April 29, 2022 1:56 PM MDT

I'm comfortable when the temperature is in the mid to high 90s F with low humidity. That's no more than scattered cloud at most. You do you, but it's not me.
      April 24, 2022 11:10 PM MDT

Nice.
    Yes.  :)

Like I shared with SavvyAnsley, few people I hear share their weather preferences in such a non-judgmental way.
      April 25, 2022 6:54 PM MDT

• Now the temperature is 20˚C with light rain. The time is 2:30. Who says there's no beauty in a rainy autumn night? The next three days will be rainy. The leaves on some of our trees are turning gold. On Thursday, our weather will turn cool with temperatures between 10˚ and 15˚. I wouldn't call that dreary, ugly and gloomy. 
      April 24, 2022 11:34 PM MDT

Nice!
    In some ways, I didn't know there were others besides me thinking this way.  :)
      April 25, 2022 6:52 PM MDT

I don't mind clouds and rain and I really like a dense fog. However, being in the sunshine lifts my mood and energizes me. I think that is true of many, if not most people probably because of the many benefits to our physical and mental health. Sunshine is essential to life and our bodies recognize that. Your body may have less of a need than is typical, but even you need a little sun in your life. :)
      April 25, 2022 10:04 AM MDT

Yes, very true about the sun's benefits. One of my good friends reminds me that I'd do well in many ways (and I agree) to 'get out there and enjoy the more.' 
    Dense fog -- nice!
    :)
      April 25, 2022 6:50 PM MDT

For me it depends on what I am doing.  Am I outside working, rain is a problem.  If I want to go swimming...again a problem. 
    Am I inside watching TV? Let it rain. Many people say they sleep better during a storm. (I am not one of those people.)

Why most people do not want rain, is it cancels plans...sports, swimming, boating, some work, etc. 

I like a day that is about 75, partially cloudy and not humid. Unless I am going to the water then I want 90 and hot. 

April 25, 2022 7:23 PM MDT

Yes, true. When I want to do something outside (amusement parks/roller coasters, especially) -- rain ruins it all.  :)

In general, my thoughts about weather are how often (always, ha; I know I'm probably being belligerent) I hear people complain about cloudy rainy weather but they always praise sunny days.  :)
      April 25, 2022 7:43 PM MDT

I'm calling the world out.
    I've had it.
    There's no denying it to me -- it's not a matter of everyone preferring various kinds of weather and all of us have our own preferences and they're all good.
    The only good weather according to everyone is that picture I posted in my question.

Just today - - I heard a weather forecast for my area -- for the next three days it is to rain and the forecaster said that on Sunday the weather "improves" with sunny weather.
    I've never heard a forecast mentioning three days of sunny weather and then on Sunday the weather "improves" with rain.
    That's just a small example.

My whole life, since being a very, very young boy, I've heard, and taken note, that the world blatantly calls me wrong because I prefer cloudy overcast and rainy weather. The weather I like is unlikeable.

Yes, often, as a young boy, I would go outside and play if I saw it was raining.

"Play in the Rain"    Lindsey Buckingham

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 29, 2023 12:17 PM MDT
      May 5, 2022 5:56 PM MDT