Active Now

Randy D
Urban Spaceman
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Do you remember these? (pic) Does your house have one? Do you even know what it is?

Do you remember these? (pic) Does your house have one? Do you even know what it is?

Posted - June 14, 2022

Responses

Yes! My house had a huge side space in the cellar that was pretty much brimmed with old big black coal nuggets in a house built in 1910. The chute was next to the open upper window where I would climb out on the coal and wait for my mother to drive to work so I could play going back in the house all day many times. The outside of the house had huge slat wooden slots so that window was crucial to be closed unless somebody opened it so that coal was in the open air. I think there were some broken slats there.
    It was coal before the oil
    This house had 10 rooms!

Facts and featuresEdit

This property is not currently for sale or for rent on Trulia. The description and property data below may have been provided by a third party, the homeowner or public records.
    This single-family home is located at 32 Sagamore Ave, Medford, MA. 32 Sagamore Ave is in Medford, MA and in ZIP code 02155. This property has 6 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and approximately 2,662 sqft of floor space. This property has a lot size of 0.26 acres and was built in 1910.
     Ohhhh no
    No Info
    Outdoor
    No Inf
    A/C
    Heating only
    HOA
    None
    Price/Sqft
    No Info

Home Details for 32 Sagamore Ave
    Interior Features
    Heating & Cooling
    Heating: Other, Oil
    Levels, Entrance, & Accessibility
    Stories: 3
    Interior Details
    Number of Rooms: 10
    Exterior Features
    Exterior Home Features
    Roof: AsphaltExterior: Stucco Brick
    Property Information
    Year Built
    Year Built: 1910
    Property Type / Style
    Property Type: Single Family HomeArchitecture: conventional
    Lot Information
    Lot Size: 0.26 acres
    See Lesshome details

• Type:SingleFamily
    • Year built:1910
    • Heating:Other, Oil
    • Cooling:No Data
    • Parking:0 spaces
    • Lot:0.26 Acres
    Interior details
    Bedrooms and bathrooms
    • Bedrooms: 6
    • Bathrooms: 2
    Heating
    • Heating features: Other, Oil
    Other interior features
    • Total interior livable area: 2,662 sqft
    Property details
    Property
    • Exterior features: Stucco, Brick
    Lot
    • Lot size: 0.26 Acres
    Other property information
    • Parcel number: MEDFMK02B0067
    Construction details
    Type and style
    • Home type: SingleFamily
    • Architectural style: Conventional
    Material information
    • Roof: Asphalt
    Condition
    • Year built: 1910
    Community and Neighborhood Details
    HOA and financial details
    Other financial information
    • Annual tax amount: $9,486

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at June 14, 2022 9:05 AM MDT
      June 14, 2022 8:14 AM MDT

Way before my time
      June 14, 2022 10:04 AM MDT

My family lived in this home, built iin1902, for a time. It had an unused coal chute and coal cellar.  Our mostly white cat loved to explre the old cellar and would come out covered in coal dust, earning him the name Dirty Elmer.

June 14, 2022 11:06 AM MDT

That looks very much like a house my husband and I renovated and lived in for about seven years.  I so loved it.  It was in a neighborhood problematic for rearing children and that is the only reason we sold it. 
      June 14, 2022 11:12 AM MDT

"Majestic Coal Chute" is a slight hint of what it is.
      June 14, 2022 11:40 AM MDT

Not to my knowledge. But I do not think any homes I lived in were that old. 

I do not think my Grandma's house had one either. Hers was old enough, she used to burn wood. 
      June 14, 2022 5:56 PM MDT

The house where I grew up was built around 1910. It used coal for heating and cooking until I was 12 y.o. when the coal furnace exploded. The house had two coal bins, accessed by the coal truck through basement windows. My mom cooked on a coal stove until that time. The coal was carried to the kitchen in a coal scuttle and shoveled into the stove with a small shovel. My parents had the coal furnace replaced with natural gas, and replaced the coal stove with a gas stove. 
      June 16, 2022 7:21 PM MDT

I'm old enough, but never lived in a house that had one. Coal-fired central heating was never a big thing in the suburbs of either Sydney or Adelaide, I never lived right in the city.
      June 17, 2022 12:20 AM MDT