Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Finance » What is a safe place to buy stocks online, that doesn't charge a fee?

What is a safe place to buy stocks online, that doesn't charge a fee?

Musk is buying Twitter and I think it might be a good idea to buy $1000.00 of stock.  It's all I can spare but it is a start.  It's at $38.00 today. 

Posted - June 21, 2022

Responses

I buy shares through TD Ameritrade.
      June 21, 2022 8:35 PM MDT

There are several sites that let you buy stocks online but all charge a fee of some sort. 
      June 22, 2022 5:57 AM MDT

TD Ameritrade does not charge me a commission when I buy stock.
      June 22, 2022 8:49 AM MDT

How do you know which account to sign up for?
      June 23, 2022 5:30 PM MDT

This is the contact number for them  

New Account

800-454-9272

Give them a call and they can advise you as to which account you should open.  I have two accounts - one is a Roth IRA (you invest with post-tax funds but pay no tax on profits after purchase) and a regular trading account.  

Since I don't know your financial position, they would be better at helping you decide what to open.
      June 24, 2022 7:15 AM MDT

You are right. I have not bought/sold any stocks on my own recently. 

I did help my son set up his 401k on TD. He paid a fee but I think that is because he went with a mutual fund. 
      June 23, 2022 6:42 PM MDT

Fidelity. But more than where is which stock to buy. With only $1000, you might consider a growth fund, which would diversity your exposure over many stocks.
      June 23, 2022 6:39 PM MDT

A growth fund?  I just want to get $1000.00 of twitter stock.  You are speaking greek to me, don't understand all the different funds or why I would need them.   This post was edited by Honey Dew at June 23, 2022 6:45 PM MDT
      June 23, 2022 6:43 PM MDT

Because buying Twitter alone is risky, and it's trading at an extremely expensive P/E (price-to-earnings) ratio of 159.77 compared to, for example, Apple trading at a very reasonable 22.48. P/E ratio, NOT raw share price, is the real measure of the stock's cost. If all of that is Greek to you, you need to consider reading up a bit before taking the plunge.

To save you some time, I just did a bit of research for you and found this:

"Investors should not buy Twitter," said Matthew Tuttle, CEO of Tuttle Capital Management. "If the deal does not go through, which is a big IF when dealing with Elon Musk and all the baggage that comes with him, the downside is pretty huge."

On top of the possibility that the deal fails and the stock price falls to the pre-acquisition price or below, there's also the risk that the approval process drags out longer than expected, which would be a drag on the price.

So have you done any in-depth research into the stock? I didn't think so.

As someone with experience on Wall Street and investing in the market, I urge you to consider Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft (just 3 off the top of my head) as much better values to invest $1000 in. Or you might consider an index fund like SPY, which tracks the S&P 500 index, or one of Fidelity's growth funds that own many different stocks like Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.

If you don't understand any of that, then again, I strongly urge you to read and learn more before committing your money to what may not be a smart investment. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at June 24, 2022 7:07 AM MDT
      June 23, 2022 8:00 PM MDT

Ok, perhaps I should take a class.  I will research fist. 
      June 23, 2022 8:02 PM MDT

A class might be worthwhile, but you can learn a great deal on your own. Google things like P/E ratio, stock pricing, and stocks vs. mutual funds. There are some excellent free videos on YouTube as well.
      June 23, 2022 8:08 PM MDT

Ok, thank you very much. 
      June 24, 2022 6:05 AM MDT