bevo
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Zack
Honey Dew
Discussion » Questions » History » What is something you remember from your childhood that a younger generation has probably never seen?

What is something you remember from your childhood that a younger generation has probably never seen?

Posted - Wed at 6:06 PM

• 11128
    On the flip side, do you remember foosball? I played that a lot as a college freshman in 1978-79, and was surprised at my 40th reunion a couple of weeks ago to see several foosball tables in our dorm headquarters. It's amazing to me that it's still a thing after all these years.
      June 22, 2022 10:14 PM MDT
    4

• 9850
    78 rpm records
      June 22, 2022 10:19 PM MDT
    7

• 368
    And 45 rpm records.
      June 23, 2022 5:21 AM MDT
    6

• 8950
    I did some painting work at a Salvation Army thrift store in the 80s. I noticed that winoes would be in the store everyday looking for 78 rpm records to buy. At first I thought they bought the records to have a little classical music with their booze but it turned out they melted  the records down and drank the alcohol that was in the records. Cheers!
      June 23, 2022 7:24 AM MDT
    4

• 48814

Pinball machines. 

Pinball arcades.

Penny candy.

Steel cans for soda and beer.

Police officers walking a beat.

Library cards.

Pre-Ziploc, plastic bags for food storage were merely folded over at the top.

Snapshots and other types of photographs had a white border on them.

Polaroid cameras and pictures.

Mimeograph machines.

Adding machines.

Handheld calculators, pocket calculators.

Smoking was allowed in government offices and many other places were it is currently banned.

Haberdasheries.

Fountain pens.

Mechanical pencils.
    ~

June 23, 2022 7:58 AM MDT
    7

• 7949
    You're taking quite a trip down Memory Lane! It's triggering a few memories for me. In high school,  I worked in a movie theater in the Uptown area of Minneapolis.  We had beat cops that worked alternate days and they were identical twins named Gary and Fred. For a long time I thought they were just joking with me and that Fred didn't really exist. There was also a newspaper stand where the guy would stand on the corner holding out the paper and drivers would stop to buy it. There was a drugstore with a counter where you could sit and have a Coke. All of these things seemed to disappear within a very short time after that.
      June 23, 2022 9:17 AM MDT
    4

• 48814
      June 23, 2022 10:44 AM MDT
    1

• 59
    Toys that didn't need batteries.
      June 23, 2022 8:51 AM MDT
    4

• 29463
    8 track tapes
    Cassette tapes
    Beta/VHS video tapes
    VCR
    Home Video Camcorder

Pink  or Blue diapers

This post was edited by my2cents at June 24, 2022 2:32 PM MDT
      June 23, 2022 10:29 AM MDT
    6

• 48814

Transistor radios. 

Mood rings. 

Pet rocks. 

Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots.

Toll-free 1-800 telephone numbers for practically every large business or organization, and for many medium or small sized ones too.

Train travel was as widely used back then as plane travel is used today.

A bread box in the kitchen. 

Also in the kitchen, a matching set of large decorative containers for flour and sugar.

Plastic carpet protectors known as “runners”, usually about three or four feet wide and as long as twelve to fifteen feet; were placed in high-traffic areas such as from doorway-to-hallway, to keep the carpet beneath them from getting tracked with dirt and mud. I can’t remember seeing one of those for about twenty-five to thirty years now.

Nurses wearing the traditional uniform that included the starched headgear, white dress-type outfit, white hosiery, and white shoes.

Many jobs, especially those in various service industries, required the employees to wear uniforms )beyond a tee-shirt and/or paper hat). That in itself was such a large enterprise that uniform shops and special cleaners shops were dedicated exclusively to uniforms.

Gloves, scarves, veils, etc., were everyday wear for the well-dressed woman, and specialty shops or entire sections of department stores were dedicated to selling them.

Television antennas on rooftops.

Rabbit-ear antenna on top of the television.

Rabbit-ear antenna on top of the television with aluminum foil wrapped around the two ends to improve the reception.

Aluminum foil twisted around a wire coat hanger to improvise instead of using a rabbit-ear antenna.

Pounding on or banging on the side of the television to improve the signal or the sound.

Console-sized televisions that were about as large as a sofa or a dining table.

Entertainment centers, usually made of wood or of a wood by-product, and held the television, a record player, the stereo, a set of speakers, and had a cabinet area down below for record albums, music cassette tapes, Beta tapes, VHS tapes, etc.

Television shows, movies, commercials and print ads that only showed people of one particular ethnicity.

Manual (push-type) lawn mowers.

Cigarette holders. 

People carried matchbooks with them and when in the dark and needing to see something close up would light a match, holding onto it until it almost burned their fingers. This real-life action was also a common sight gag in both comedy and dramatic movies and television shows.
    ~

June 23, 2022 5:49 PM MDT
    4

• 29463
    Mood rings
    Rock em Sockem Robots
    1 800 numbers
    Carpet runners (sold at Home Depot)

All still around ...my grandkids know of all of these. 
      June 23, 2022 6:49 PM MDT
    2

• 48814

Fine, but that’s anecdotal, and it doesn’t dismiss the fact that a larger sampling of entire generations probably* might not know about those things. 

*As in the exact qualifying word that is included in the question. 
    ~

June 23, 2022 9:27 PM MDT
    1

• 4377
    I played Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots when I was a kid.  I still have it.
      June 23, 2022 7:51 PM MDT
    2

• 48814

Fine, but that’s anecdotal, and it doesn’t dismiss the fact that a larger sampling of entire generations probably* might not know about those things. 

~
      June 23, 2022 9:27 PM MDT
    3

• 4377
    Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots was originally in the 60s I think, but it made a big comeback when I was a kid.
      June 24, 2022 1:40 PM MDT
    3

• 29463
    It is still sold at Walmart and Target. 
      June 24, 2022 4:47 AM MDT
    3

• 1392

computers that looked like that :-)

June 23, 2022 7:04 PM MDT
    4

• 14718
    No ergonomic keyboards, CD-ROM or 3.5 inch floppy on the ones I learned BASIC prgramming on. 5.25 inch and 128K of RAM (monochrome monitor) was state-of-the-art.
      June 25, 2022 7:48 AM MDT
    0

• 4377

Cell phones had actual buttons.  MP3 players had the buttons arranged in a circle.

June 23, 2022 7:46 PM MDT
    4

• 14718
    Child. I had one of these.

June 25, 2022 7:44 AM MDT
    0

• 8950
    The younger generation has probably never seen 20 -30 kids from the neighbourhood all playing together in harmony after school until the street lights came on. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at June 25, 2022 7:42 AM MDT
      June 24, 2022 7:12 AM MDT
    4

• 7450
    Good times.
      June 24, 2022 8:13 AM MDT
    1

• 8950
    Yeah they were fun. Red rover red rover send Bobby over. Cheers and happy weekend!
      June 24, 2022 8:28 AM MDT
    2

• 1007
    Black Cat Firecrackers
      June 24, 2022 9:30 AM MDT
    2

• 1323
    5 bit computer graphics

June 24, 2022 2:17 PM MDT
    1