Discussion » Questions » Legal » How do some states outlawing abortion simultaneously condone capital punishment? If one is “playing God,” isn’t the other?

How do some states outlawing abortion simultaneously condone capital punishment? If one is “playing God,” isn’t the other?

Posted - June 25, 2022

Responses

A wise decision.  
      June 25, 2022 9:41 PM MDT

By the reasoning of "playing God" we should ban the practice of medicine and all medical research because saving lives is interfering with "God's purpose". Actually some fundamentalist Christians do go that far, such as the Red Barn cult, a variation on Baptists.

It would be impossible to legislate in accord with the beliefs of all religions simultaneously, therefore the most democratic thing is to permit safe & legal abortions to any woman who wants or needs one, and let individuals choose according to their own values.

I'm against the death sentence for criminals on the grounds that sometimes trials fail to deliver a correct verdict and sometimes later technologies can prove innocence. Emotionally, there are some crimes so heinous that it seems execution is the only reasonable way to cheaply rid society of the threat. But that's emotion talking, which is not a rational way to deal with the realities. I hope that one day we'll understand the functioning of the brain well enough to be able to cure serious aberrations of behaviour.

June 25, 2022 6:48 PM MDT

Perhaps you mean Christian Scientists, who don't believe in medical treatment.
      June 25, 2022 6:54 PM MDT

Yep, the Christian Scientists too.
      July 23, 2022 11:56 PM MDT

Hi Manna.
      June 25, 2022 8:19 PM MDT

Hi! 
      July 23, 2022 11:55 PM MDT

No.
      June 26, 2022 9:31 AM MDT

I'm opposed to the death penalty. A jury can get it wrong, the last man executed in Australia was later proven innocent of the murder he was hanged for.
    I'm also mostly opposed to abortion, unless there is a valid reason. Medical reasons, absolutely. Ectopic pregnancy. Urgent surgery or chemo. "My boyfriend doesn't like to wear condoms" isn't a valid reason, "my uncle raped me" is. In these cases termination should occur prior to the formation of the brainstem, a "morning after" pill is better - before conception even occurs.
    However, a vanishingly small percentage of abortions are for medical reasons or where the pregnancy is the result of a crime. "Own choice" I'm opposed to - contraception is NOT difficult.
      June 27, 2022 5:06 AM MDT

Early term abortion was not considered wrong up until the mid 19th century and a ban on abortion has its roots in racism (think replacement theory) as well as sexism. The idea that life begins at conception wasn't even part of Roman Catholic dogma until about 150 years ago. When did women and their partners become incapable of deciding for themselves what is or isn't a valid reason? And FYI, contraception may not be difficult, but it is not foolproof. 
      June 27, 2022 10:47 AM MDT

I know that, my wife and I became parents for the first time due to a condom breaking. That's a risk you take, the alternative is celibacy. Or sterilisation, I had a vasectomy after our son was born (fourth child, second live birth - the twins were stillborn at 21 weeks). Not foolproof but she took the risk by not being on birth control in addition to physical barrier - and the local pharmacy (drugstore) wasn't open on weekends, it happened on a Friday so that morning after wasn't an option either.
      June 27, 2022 6:45 PM MDT

Less than 3% of abortions in USA are for rape, incest or health/life of the Mother. 

Over 92% are elective....over  6% are for social/economic reasons. 
      June 27, 2022 12:16 PM MDT

Are these the same states that manufacture and sell armaments and permit most citizens to have almost unlimited arsenals of guns and other weapons? - the same states where it's so easy to massacre children in schools?
      July 23, 2022 11:54 PM MDT