Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Do you know how to and have you ever changed a tire (tyre)?

Do you know how to and have you ever changed a tire (tyre)?

Posted - July 3, 2022

Responses

Your membership dues might be a bit too steep for me. 

July 5, 2022 5:25 PM MDT

We could make some sort of “arrangement”. (Cough, cough.)

~

July 5, 2022 11:47 PM MDT

It's been awhile, but I still remember how.
      July 4, 2022 8:56 AM MDT

Yes I do.  No I haven't (totally independently). 
      July 4, 2022 6:15 PM MDT

Several times. I also taught both my kids how - my daughter works in disability care, frequently on her own. The RAA will help if needed, but flats are low priority. Given the fact that I do a fair bit of driving in rural areas, changing a tyre takes far less time than waiting what can be hours for them to show up. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 30, 2023 11:13 AM MDT
      July 5, 2022 12:14 AM MDT

Not for a long time on the car. Happens regularly on the bike. 
      July 6, 2022 1:33 AM MDT

July 6, 2022 6:44 AM MDT

Would you believe that I’ve still never seen that movie in its entirety, Welby?  I only tuned in because of your endorsement of it, and I truly wanted to like it. I started watching it, but couldn’t get past the first twenty minutes before it slipped away from me interest-wise.
    ___

July 11, 2022 6:04 AM MDT

I get it. :)  I find it a fun, unique movie - - quirky. When I find movies quirky and unique, the movies usually aren't for everyone.  And we both know there are lots of movie the majority of humankind like that I don't, ha. That certain Hanks movie, for example.

Though none of them are fun, some of the movies I most admire I find are unique:

"Dancer in the Dark"

"Strangers in Good Company"     (well, this one is sort of "cooly" fun  - not "Cooly high;" I think I saw a good movie with that title  -- or maybe Cooley High.)

"Funny Games" (1997 original, not the later remake made by the director himself)

"Happiness"  (Todd Solondz's movie; I think other movies have the same title)

There are many others, those came to mind.  :)
      July 11, 2022 7:07 AM MDT

The complete wheel, yes. A tyre no. I don't have the tools and equipment for that!

Though I've sometimes cursed whoever last changed the tyre, for tightening the wheel-nuts so hard I had to resort to such tricks as using the jack to lift the spanner enough to start it. The tyre-fitting garages use air-driven torques-spanners and I suspect some of the fitters don't bother to set the torques recommended by the vehicle manufacturers, but just leave them on anything high. 
      July 11, 2022 1:29 AM MDT

A wheel yes, many times. A tyre, no....

Though I've sometimes had to use the jack under the end of the spanner, against the car's weight, to slacken wheel-nuts tightened by some mechanic who can't be bothered to set his air-spanner torque correctly!
      September 11, 2022 3:24 PM MDT

Once I had a puncture on the caravan at 5 in the morning. 

Called the breakdown service, but by the time they arrived I'd got the wheel off. Off to wait for the tyre shop to open. they said needs new wheel. Got it from caravan dealer and back to tyre shop to fit.  By the time I returned to caravan, breakdown service said their time to fix it was up, so had to fit wheel back myself. 

Arriving at destination late in evening, stopped by police checking if we were legit campers. 

September 12, 2022 3:10 AM MDT

I know how because I am able to read a manual. I got a nail in my tire so I had to remove it to repair (which I also did myself) and because it was a front tire I moved it to the back. I also know how to change a car battery
      June 29, 2023 9:56 PM MDT

I do know how to change a tire. I haven't tried since the 60s when they started using machines to tighten the bolts. I had AAA for many years.
      June 30, 2023 7:34 AM MDT