Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Environment » How many (distinct) different types of weather that been on this Earth?

How many (distinct) different types of weather that been on this Earth?

Posted - August 23, 2022

Responses

I’m Sorry-should’ve named this as ‘Weather‘ discussion.
      August 23, 2022 4:56 PM MDT

This earth as opposed to other earths? What are you not telling us?
      August 24, 2022 7:54 AM MDT

Mean like other distant extrasolar Earths?
    Maybe asking about more like different types of main weather that's been happening on this/our planet Earth(since?)
      August 24, 2022 9:17 AM MDT

This earth is redundant unless we occupy more than one planet.
      August 24, 2022 9:55 AM MDT

The geological principal of uniformitarianism states that geologic processes operating on the Earth's crust today have acted in a similar manner and relative intensity throughout geologic time. Understanding the Present is the key to understanding the past. Therefore, we can assume that weather patterns and climates have also done so.
      August 24, 2022 8:26 AM MDT

Okay, what I will like to see from that is the different looks of weather like from all the rest of them-each in pictures-& names of each weather typed on them, & I think there's about/around a dozen or different types of weather, or maybe more (not the very minor or unimportant ones).
    I will paste each scenes of weather & names of these weather to you & Stu in here.
      August 24, 2022 9:14 AM MDT

OK.
      August 24, 2022 10:04 AM MDT

I will get it (the whole weather pack) from Google Image to see if so I don't have to draw the whole thing
      August 24, 2022 10:28 AM MDT

Draw? Why?
      August 26, 2022 3:43 PM MDT

No drawing necessary, I just picked out each weather images from Google, then I just pasted them together on another program.
      August 26, 2022 5:25 PM MDT

Now I got this one here:

-Just have to make sure I got all the other ones that these other ones don't have, I don't think I would really put another one with rain, clouds & lightning all together in one picture-but got like heavy rain in one picture, all cloudy on another picture, & greatly lightning on another picture-so I think that's good enough from the other pictures with it - if like do these main parts of the whole Earth weather system. But that other one that's more likely to omit-the shooting star, aurora, & meteor stuff, I would add these in too, because these may can cause some damage or disaster too, as well as land slide & avalanche that these may happen sometimes that causes disaster too.

And can check to see if there's maybe any other ones that might be missing too-include the picture & the name of the other weather if you do.

This post was edited by DannyPetti at August 24, 2022 11:24 AM MDT
      August 24, 2022 10:56 AM MDT

Oh the other ones that might be that what I didn’t put in too, is fog, but not sure if cloudy can be replaced from it if have just 16 different weather pictures even-as 4 each across & 4 each vertically, but probably still need avalanche even if have a snowy picture, & another one I probably have missed is hail, perhaps sleet, & forest fire-but not sure if that’s a natural weather(disaster), and maybe ‘heat wave’? But I would not replace it from sunny, maybe I would take-off ‘shooting star’ or ‘meteor’ or ‘meteorite’, or take them both off & put one of something between, or I guess may just have to put in few more than 16 weather pictures, & if think of ‘solar flair‘, just from the sun, I think that might be too far to visualize from Earth, maybe be dropped-off to just Aurora.
    Okay I will go get these other weather pictures & set them down here too okay?
      August 25, 2022 7:23 AM MDT

That would look more like this:

Then I will set-up the one in more real of photos, then I will just pick-out pictures of weather from Google Image, then I will put them together in a (drawing program), then just have to count-out how many & look over again of how many I have put in, then just have to decide how different each is-picked, may not get exact right # of weather & # of (occurring) weather (to get just right after picking), maybe just make each so that each of these don't look similar to one another-of weather pictures that I will pick, & here it goes:
      August 24, 2022 10:35 AM MDT

I'm not sure what you would like me to do with it. You can combine  two or several of the above to create more complex weather scenarios. For example, it can be cold, sunny and windy. Or hot and stormy.
      August 25, 2022 7:39 AM MDT

Another ones that might be (think of), is sunset & rainbow-but I don't really count that as 2 other separate weather-same with mirage(these will be out), as sunset just occurs every day, & rainbow just occurs when rain comes, with the sun. Also-not really included but may be mentioned too-flash flood known as flash flood warning that's usually heard from the news in alert, forest fire-may not really be as weather which might not be natural disaster, & atomic blast-I guess wouldn't be a weather, because not natural-it's man made.
    Then can you see which of the other names of weather that I put by names that which ones can go in those other of weather with names that I put up there, to minimize the number of weather & names that I pasted up there, to see what # of weather you can bring it down to, maybe including the ones that I just typed here too(only if that weather too).
    but I don't think the sleet can cover hail or hail storm, as like much different size or volume & form of ice from those 2. Don’t know if flood can just be in heavy rain if put as heavy rain instead of just medium rain. And do you think you can just put rain that is heavy, & just combine with just cold winter from it to just get like sleet with just those?

This post was edited by DannyPetti at August 25, 2022 1:38 PM MDT
      August 25, 2022 12:12 PM MDT

Continued from the end message I typed from below,
    don’t know if do you think that ’wind’, just use tornado, as tornado covers or is/can be both a wind or tornado?
    And I think the cyclone & typhoon are very much like hurricane, so I just omit those 2 from the picture weather list that I did here.
      August 25, 2022 1:44 PM MDT

You can include them but separately. They are not the same things.

A cyclone or tornado (same thing) is an intense but narrowly-confined vortex due to hot and cold air trying to pass each other. They are most intense in the tropics and sub-tropics but can occur in temperate regions. Curiously, Holland and Britain have the lion's share of the temperate cyclones, but fortunately for we Britons and Dutch, most are small, low-powered, short-lived beasts and rarely cause any damage.   

A hurricane is a tropical storm. It is a very intense depression hundreds of miles, maybe a thousand miles, in diameter. Although its wind speeds are usually much lower it is vastly more powerful than even the worst tropical cyclone, and covers a much larger area. Hurricanes do not occur in temperate to cold latitudes; but storm winds in those latitudes can occasionally reach lower hurricane force. (Force 12 on the Beaufort Wind Scale.)
      December 12, 2022 5:28 PM MST

and for the cloudiness-I don't know if you may suggest to keep the light or the dark cloudiness, or maybe keep them both?
      August 25, 2022 3:45 PM MDT

And now can check to see which others you think would not really be put in the weather list(officially), or may put which of these weather names ‘I input(to you)‘, will just be the ground weather, while the rest of the other ones be the sky weather-okay?
      August 26, 2022 7:16 AM MDT

And ‘Pollution’, probably be out of it, as-know where that goes to.
      August 26, 2022 8:08 AM MDT

I still don't know what you would like me to do. Keep it simple for me.
      August 26, 2022 8:10 AM MDT

Then do I will sort out & minimize the rest of the weather picture stuff that‘s here(?)

& 2 other options-
    Land slide, they may also call that mud slide, but not sure that is exactly same thing, but I prefer that to be land slide, if I would pick only one from the two.
    And for area fire outside, which do you pick that you think is better word for that than the other-forest fire or wild fire?

-”I see there’s much too many of them now!”

And ’dust devil’, now I will see where we will put all the rest of these stuff here of which of those that I then should discard. This post was edited by DannyPetti at August 26, 2022 2:35 PM MDT
      August 26, 2022 2:34 PM MDT

That's more like it though I think the photos are better, aesthetically!

I am afraid what you had assembled previously is like one of those "Captcha" things: prove you are not a robot by selecting those that are NOT weather events! Though two are secondary weather effects.

Those that are not weather events:

- The Aurora occur far above weather systems, as the effects of interactions between charged particles from The Sun, the Earth's magnetic field and the very rarefied atmosphere at that altitude. Their activity is influenced by the effects cyclic actions within the Sun, and astronomers do talk of "solar weather", but the aurora have nothing to do with terrestrial weather.

- Earthquakes: Nothing to do with the climate and weather. The majority are shock-waves from sudden strain-releasing movements of rock against rock on faults and thrust-planes deep underground, related to continental drift. Some in Northern latitudes may still be from lingering "isostatic rebound" (elastic relaxation) of the continental crusts, still slightly springing back up having lost their ice-loading of the present ice-age's Last Glacial Maximum. Minor local tremors can also occur in former mining areas by old mines collapsing, but most of those are likely to be detected only on a seismograph.

- Tsunami generally have two primary causes: earthquakes whose epicentres are under the sea but on the Continental Shelf, and displacement of large volumes of water by sudden, large-scale submarine mud-slides. Though those might be triggered by a tremor or by simple self-overloading. Tsunami can also be thrown up by powerful, sudden, explosive volcanic eruptions under the sea. Storms sometimes pile up massive waves among the general roughness, by constructive-interference, but they are storm waves not tsunamis.

- Landslides are usually associated with the weather but as effects of it. They can also be triggered by earthquakes.

- An Avalanche is also a weather effect not type, as snow on a steep slow accumulates or thaws to instability.

- Meteors (so-called "shooting-stars" that are not stars at all) are tiny pieces of rock from Space, burning up in the Earth's upper atmosphere. A Meteorite is one that survives sufficiently to land on the ground, and if its hits your house it could well punch a hole in the roof. One landed in the drive of a house in England, last year now, I think; luckily without harm. The image is the impression of a major meteorite impact that certainly could have serious consequences; and one or two have been known in human history though fortunately in remote areas. Nowadays an apparent meteor sighting might be of the remains of one of the far too many artificial satellites and related man-made clutter up there in the sky!
      December 12, 2022 5:14 PM MST

Guess you knew the answer to your question all along
      August 25, 2022 4:01 AM MDT