Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are you a rule-follower? Do you get miffed if someone else doesn't follow rules or instructions? Why is that?

Are you a rule-follower? Do you get miffed if someone else doesn't follow rules or instructions? Why is that?

Posted - September 13, 2022

Responses

I am a safety rules follower and I do get miffed if other people don't follow the rules because not following safety rules can get people hurt or killed. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at September 14, 2022 8:32 PM MDT
      September 13, 2022 7:44 AM MDT

Well, it's important to follow safety rules, but I suspect there are some other rules that you don't pay as much attention to. :)
      September 13, 2022 4:31 PM MDT

No way I'm Mr. Goody Two Shoes. Cheers!
      September 13, 2022 4:44 PM MDT

I’m really by-the-book on a lot of things in life, more than the average person. I trace it to my upbringing and my dislike for unfair or disrespectful treatment of others. Theft and littering are particular peeves of mine, just as much as work ethic and neediness nerdiness are deeply ingrained traits in me. Rule-breaking and rule-breakers do drive me up a wall, yes.

[DISCLAIMER: absolutely no Minnesota-based restraining orders were harmed in the production of this reply. Cough, cough.] 
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 16, 2022 5:14 AM MDT
      September 13, 2022 7:48 AM MDT

Really?? You hide it well! : D
      September 13, 2022 4:33 PM MDT

Well, all bets are off when you continually throw yourself at me the way you do.

My power to resist can only go so far. 

~

September 14, 2022 1:04 AM MDT

You know my rule - and I know you can't help following rules!
      September 14, 2022 6:57 AM MDT

What do you call this game of yours, “Entice, Repel, and Report”? Grrrrrrr.

~

September 14, 2022 9:21 AM MDT

Oh, yeah!  I was brought up being taught to obey rules.  Well, being a perfectionist and OCD, my mind took that teaching to the nth degree. 

This is why I can't stand stupidity, and is the main reason I hate driving (and do so as little as possible).  
      September 13, 2022 9:10 AM MDT

Don't you ever go through the express checkout with one more item than is allowed? Try it - it's such a rush!
      September 13, 2022 4:36 PM MDT

I follow laws for the most part.  The only law I just completely ignored and had no respect for it was the minimum drinking age of 21.  No, I don’t get miffed when people under 21 break that law as long as they’re not driving themselves home from the party.

Now that I’m older than 21, I follow the law most of the time, the exception being the speed limit, which I obey but not I’m not obsessive-compulsive about it.  I go faster than the speed limit when I’m passing someone because while passing someone who’s going slightly less than the speed limit while strictly following the speed limit oneself is technically obeying the law in USA (in other countries it’s illegal to pass going less than 5 km/h faster than the car you’re passing), I just don’t want traffic piling up behind me in the left lane.

Rules, as opposed to laws, are an entirely different animal.  Sometimes, people just make stupid rules.  Some people are just complete tyrants with the rules they make.    I work in farming and trucking, so in those two industries regulations absolutely have to be followed religiously.  There’s no argument about it.  However, in trucking, some shippers and receivers are just on a complete power trip with their own rules and regulations.  We expect our drivers to follow all of the rules and regulations of the shipper, but there are three of them that are just so terrible that we refuse to pick up their loads or make deliveries to them.  However, if a shipper tells a driver to do something illegal, we absolutely don’t want our drivers doing it.  That actually happened to one of our drivers last week who was picking up a load in Iowa.

With our kids it’s a little different.  We expect them to follow the rules because with two four-year olds and a one-year old, there just isn’t any nuance so debate just isn’t going to happen. This post was edited by Livvie at September 14, 2022 8:32 PM MDT
      September 13, 2022 9:38 AM MDT

I find that people are inconsistent about which rules they follow. Everyone goes along with "No shoes, No shirt, No service' even though there's no law or health department ordinance behind it. But put up a 'mask required' sign and they get downright belligerent. 
      September 13, 2022 4:43 PM MDT

lol, This reminds me of People of Walmart.

There is one woman who shops at the Walmart in a nearby city to me who follows the “No shoes, No shirt, No service” rule to the letter.
      September 13, 2022 4:53 PM MDT

I follow just about all laws and most rules. 
    I generally do not get miffed about what other people do unless it affects others.
      September 13, 2022 7:52 PM MDT

I take this sort of thing on a case by case basis. As far as others following the rules, I have no f**ks to give in that situation.
      September 14, 2022 10:21 AM MDT

I try not to be miffed like a stiff.
      September 14, 2022 10:40 AM MDT

I'm pretty much a rule/law follower.  My one glaring infraction is that I generally drive 10-15 miles over the speed limit and even more when I'm on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  I have caught myself doing 90!  In the 20+ years I've been driving down to see my sister in PA, I have only seen one trooper on the Turnpike, so I figure I'm fairly safe.

I do get miffed when people litter, throw their recyclables in the bin without washing them out and generally not disposing of household trash properly.  The last thing we need is to be offering a buffet to roaches and mice.
      September 14, 2022 11:59 AM MDT

I'm blessed with common sense.  Most rules and laws require that you use common sense.  The fact that so many people have not an ounce of this gold, rules are necessary.  I will not obey a rule that is stupid, such as requiring people to park nose-in in parking lots when I know that there is a much heightened risk of having an accident while backing out of it.  That is one of many rules that just should not be.  For many years part of my life's unpaid work was educating on this kind of subject.  I now have passed that job on to the younger folk for the most part.  I hope to not be disappointed by that decision.   As for actual laws, I generally obey the law, and if I find it completely offensive I let my representatives in government know that.  That is how it should work.  Sometimes it does.  But we can have no free and secure society and country without respect for the rule of law. 
      September 14, 2022 1:59 PM MDT

However, sense is not common.
      September 14, 2022 2:51 PM MDT

• I get miffed when someone doesn't follow rules or instructions on a plane. It's my job.
      September 14, 2022 8:31 PM MDT

If them not following the rules affects me or others negatively, I'm probably going to be annoyed. Otherwise, I won't be too bothered. 

My thinking is that it usually comes down to safety and consideration of others; two things that are important to me. 
      September 16, 2022 5:21 AM MDT