Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » Almost every address has a number and name followed by avenue, circle, court, place, street, etc.

Almost every address has a number and name followed by avenue, circle, court, place, street, etc.

A pet peeve of mine is when people write an address without the last part, eg 100 Central instead of 100 Central Avenue. Grrrrr. Does this bother you?

Posted - September 22, 2022

Responses

Same here.
      September 23, 2022 10:30 AM MDT

In Brooklyn Heights, which is the borough's oldest neighborhood and where I grew up, there are the fruit streets - Cranberry Street, Orange Street, and Pineapple Street. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at September 24, 2022 8:39 AM MDT
      September 23, 2022 11:42 AM MDT

Only if I'm looking for an address.  Large cities have that situation more than smaller ones.  Along the same irritation is when you are looking for a city address that includes N E W  or S as a directional, not when it's actually part of the name such as West Avenue.  If you don't know that directional AND/OR the last part of the name of the roadway, God bless anyone who is looking for a Peachtree address in Atlanta.   There were 71 roadways named Peachtree Xxxx in Atlanta in 2019. 
      September 23, 2022 4:49 PM MDT

It only really bothers me when the other word is "The" - The Avenue, The Parkway, The Boulevard etc (the nearby suburb of Mawson Lakes has all of those).
      September 23, 2022 8:41 PM MDT

Broadway in downtown San Diego is simply that: Broadway. No street, boulevard, avenue, lane, parkway, road, etc. It is a throwback to the olden days when the principal thoroughfare was Main Street and as more prominent and more affluent people built businesses and homes on a separate thoroughfare that was wider than Main and better maintained, it was referred to as the Broad Way. Over time, it became the singular word as opposed to the dual words. I do not know if all Broadway designations also go without a particular type or size of thoroughfare reference in other parts of the US or other parts of the world.
    ~

September 23, 2022 9:46 PM MDT