Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » I got stung today twice by a yellowjacket. When was the last time you were stung?

I got stung today twice by a yellowjacket. When was the last time you were stung?

Posted - October 1, 2022

Responses

Never have been stung by a yellow jacket that I can remember.
      October 1, 2022 7:37 PM MDT

Once I accidently cut a yellow jacket ground nest in half with a gas powered brush saw and got swarmed. I eventually panicked and started running blindly towards Rosé wall cliff. I would of went over the cliff if a fellow worker hadn't grabbed a blanket from the work truck then ran after me - tackled me and covered us up with the blanket. It was kind of weird being under a blanket with a guy that was lying on my back while he whispered into my ear- be quiet and hold still. Cheers!
      October 1, 2022 8:40 PM MDT

I can't recall. I think I was stung by one of those little sweat bees within the past 10 years. 

It's a bit surprising, actually. I frequently take macro shots of bees with my phone. 

You're a science expert. I have heard something about bees sensing fear, something to do with pheromones or something, maybe? I've wondered if they don't bother me because I'm not afraid and I'm not out to hurt them. 

Yellowjackets are real a-holes. I avoid them and wasps.  Most of my pics are bumblebees or carpenter bees. A few honeybees. 
      October 1, 2022 8:46 PM MDT

They swarmed my wife while she was spraying them with poison and she didn't get stung. I was sitting there later minding my own business when the little bastard got two fingers.
      October 2, 2022 8:05 AM MDT

I guess that answers my question! Unless they were punishing you for what your wife did! ;)
      October 2, 2022 9:26 AM MDT

I've never been stung by anything.  My sole encounters have been with mosquitoes.
      October 2, 2022 7:37 AM MDT

I was stung on the side of my head when I was in college. Those were many years ago.
      October 2, 2022 7:43 AM MDT

It has been probably at least 20 years since I was last stung by a yellow jacket. Years ago I had a neighbor that nearly died from an allergic reaction to a sting. I'm sure that would be scary seeing something like that.
      October 2, 2022 8:00 AM MDT

It would be scarier happening to you.
      October 2, 2022 8:09 AM MDT

I nearly died from an allergic reaction to a fire ant sting. The scariest part was in the emergency room when I heard the doctor actually running to the room. Usually I wait for hours.
      October 2, 2022 5:29 PM MDT

If you have irregular heartbeat there is no wait wither.  
    I have a friend who always has a irregular heartbeat. When he goes to the ER, he goes straight in, they always ask the heart questions during check-in. He tells them the truth that he is not there for the heart, it is for whatever he is having issues with. They still take him straight in.
      October 2, 2022 7:42 PM MDT

It's been a long time (insect-wise).  Currently I have a truce with them.  They don't bother me and I won't spray Windex on them (it can "melt" their wings).  I killed a few hundred of them before they "wised up".  Occasionally some will try to defy the truce and come at me, but when I threaten them With Windex, they quickly stop and keep their distance.  
      October 2, 2022 9:24 AM MDT

A few decades ago.
      October 2, 2022 5:31 PM MDT

A mud-dobber about a year ago.  Other than that a regular bee as a child. 
      October 2, 2022 7:45 PM MDT

Stung on the inside of the elbow by a honey bee as a teen and it almost killed me. I've carried an EpiPen ever since.
      October 3, 2022 12:47 AM MDT

I've been stung by wasps twice, never by bees.

A long time ago though... First time when I was about 10 I suppose, at school.

Second perhaps 30 years ago, when outdoors, on holiday.

In both cases it was my fault. The first wasp was on my face, the second on my arm I think.   Instinctively I tried to brush it off but trapped it under my hand, and like any cornered animal it fought itself out.

Luckily neither sting caused any real damage or nasty after-effects. I learnt though that as far as possible the right response is to stay calm and not let the wasp think you are a threat to it; and normally it will soon fly away. I have on odd occasions accidentally fed one by having a spilt spot of jam or fruit-juice on my bare hand or arm. I kept still, and the creature enjoyed the free lunch, then left in peace.

It's very different if you threaten or attack a colony-wasps' or bees' nest because then they are likely to gang up on you, with potentially very dangerous results.
      November 4, 2022 3:06 PM MDT