Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Should you raise you're kids with no discipline for their best learning experience?

Should you raise you're kids with no discipline for their best learning experience?

I think that the saying nobody told me or showed me is dumb. 

Posted - October 6, 2022

Responses

No. The only thing they will learn is how to be a brat.
      October 6, 2022 1:59 PM MDT

I don't agree with that. Do you think that kids who aren't autodidacts are better off? Or, don't you think that initiating their brains to think your way is brain stifling to them? I really don't agree with the way you think much my2 cents. You scare me frankly. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 6, 2022 2:27 PM MDT
      October 6, 2022 2:00 PM MDT

Learning something on your own is good.  But you can not learn to behave if you never face any consequences for your misbehavior. This post was edited by my2cents at October 29, 2023 6:43 AM MDT
      October 6, 2022 2:19 PM MDT

Not so I think. Children should not be taught your terms of consequence. That will only lead to more fear. The reality should be a chiding: Momma hit me for nothing! That's it! They will only learn it's alright to hit in order to learn. Kids brains are pure and not born evil. That's just transferrence of your lifestyle which probably sucks anyways. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 6, 2022 2:31 PM MDT
      October 6, 2022 2:30 PM MDT

Just how do you know, exactly what my "terms of consequence" are or would be?
    No where did I say anything about hitting a child.  

Consequences do not have to be physical...in fact the most effective consequences normally do not have a physical aspect to the punishment.    If hitting a child is any parent's first goto just means they are a lazy parent. 
    But any child misbehaving should be taught better and corrected. Any parent who does not correct their child is failing their child and it is the child who will pay for it in the long run. This post was edited by my2cents at October 29, 2023 6:42 AM MDT
      October 6, 2022 2:47 PM MDT

(you’re your)

October 6, 2022 2:46 PM MDT

They definitely need discipline.  My husband and I don’t ever use spanking, that’s off the table, but disciplining kids does take some discipline from the parents.  First of all, the rules that the parents make need to make sense.  Second, my kids get one opportunity to give a reason and to defend themselves for breaking the rule.  Discipline has to be consistent.  The kids need to know that every time they do something deliberately wrong that they’re going to be disciplined for it. This post was edited by Livvie at October 6, 2022 5:06 PM MDT
      October 6, 2022 3:47 PM MDT

Or they get sent to live with Uncle Randy for a couple of months, right? Grrrrrrr.
    ~

October 6, 2022 3:54 PM MDT

No one deserves that kind of a punishment.  :)
      October 6, 2022 4:04 PM MDT

Hey! Grrrrrrr.
      ~

October 7, 2022 7:53 AM MDT

The last time I took them to Uncle Randy’s house, I saw him back out of the driveway really fast and then he sped away.
      October 6, 2022 5:07 PM MDT

That’s the plan, correct?
      ~

October 7, 2022 7:52 AM MDT

With no discipline they are more likely to become more self-centered.  Part of discipline is socialization which teaches us how to learn. 
      November 2, 2022 8:23 PM MDT

Either that or they’re likely to be in drug rehab by the time they’re 18, which is what happened to my husband’s first cousin.  

My husband’s grandmother was overbearing and domineering, so my uncle-in-law wanted to do everything the opposite way with his own kid.  He tried to accomplish that by hardly having any rules or discipline at all.  My husband’s first cousin was sent to drug rehab before his 18th birthday.

November 2, 2022 9:20 PM MDT

The pendulum apparently swung way too far in both directions in these cases that you’ve mentioned. Of course, at good ol‘ Uncle Randy’s ranch, things would have been run quite differently if you had sent your little darlings before it was too later. You balked, though, and I booked. 
      ~

October 28, 2023 9:05 AM MDT