Stu Spelling Bee
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Have you ever rooted for the villain in a movie, television show or book?

Have you ever rooted for the villain in a movie, television show or book?

Posted - October 15

• 11855
    LOL
      October 18, 2022 8:26 PM MDT
    4

• 21433
    Me, too.  :)
      October 19, 2022 5:30 AM MDT
    3

• 8469
    Sort of. I found this movie so tedious, I was rooting for the whale.

October 17, 2022 9:56 PM MDT
    8

• 21433
    Heaven forbid . . . another overrated Tom Hanks film ?  ;)  

(I should keep quiet, ha -- I've never seen this movie and have no desire to watch it.)
      October 18, 2022 6:09 PM MDT
    7

• 691
    I haven't seen the entire movie so I can't judge it. I remember seeing it on television, but I slept through most of the movie. This post was edited by sirena Martina at October 26, 2022 6:42 AM MDT
      October 24, 2022 8:52 PM MDT
    3

• 8469
    It seems like you had the same reaction that I  did.
      October 25, 2022 9:42 AM MDT
    3

• 691
    I tried to watch it last night. I fell asleep again.
      October 25, 2022 10:17 PM MDT
    3

• 21433

In some ways, the crows . . . 

October 18, 2022 6:04 PM MDT
    6

• 50820

GREAT answer!
    ~

October 18, 2022 6:07 PM MDT
    5

• 21433
    Thanks, Randy D!   :)

(That scene is my favorite scene in that movie - - just the crows quietly congregating on the playground while Tippi Hedren ('Melanie') nervously smokes a cigarette on a nearby bench. )
      October 18, 2022 6:14 PM MDT
    4

• 50820

I even like the very last scene of “The Birds”; do you remember it?

SPOILER ALERT.
    Just as mysteriously as the birds’ strange behavior begins, it mysteriously ends, and life gets back to order . . . or does it? There’s no way of knowing whether or not it’s a temporary respite, and no explanation is ever given, not even as supposition or speculation, Fade to The End, roll ending credits.

Being a person who despises movie endings that leave the viewers hanging and have more unanswered questions than answered ones, for this movie in particular, I love the ending. I’m guessing it’s because the “antagonists” or the conflict (man against nature) is not human (man against man). It also smacks of nature exacting a bit of revenge on humans for our centuries-old transgressions against flora, fauna, terra, and the seas.
    ~

October 18, 2022 6:24 PM MDT
    4

• 21433
    ExACTly.
    I love that last scene, too!

I've read that Hitchcock purposely did not want to give an explanation for the havoc.
    I also read that he considered, as another ending, them driving back to San Francisco, and when they approach the city, the Golden Gate Bridge is covered by birds. Fade to Black.  :)
      October 18, 2022 6:30 PM MDT
    4

• 691
    The birds had a good excuse. The movie was inspired by a real event. Toxic algae was the cause of the birds' behavior. 
      October 24, 2022 9:34 PM MDT
    2

• 50820
    I did not know that information, thank you!
    ~
      October 24, 2022 9:46 PM MDT
    2

• 21433
    Like Randy D, I had not known of that event of which Hitchcock knew. (I read up a bit on it after reading your reply, thanks.)

With my discussion here, I mainly meant, as far as no explanation given in the movie itself for the bird events, I think Hitchcock made a great decision in giving no explanation - - the movie works really well for me with no reasons given to the viewer for why our Fine Feathered Friends have turned on us.  :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 25, 2022 9:42 PM MDT
      October 25, 2022 8:20 PM MDT
    2

• 7584
    Yea! I do it all the time, but only because the bad guy was more entertaining. This post was edited by Zack at October 24, 2022 8:55 PM MDT
      October 18, 2022 6:14 PM MDT
    6

• 21433
    :)
      October 18, 2022 6:14 PM MDT
    5

• 691
    Sometimes the villain is a likable character. I remember sometimes thinking that no, the bad guy shouldn't do that because the police will catch him. I was then disappointed when the police caught him.
      October 24, 2022 9:16 PM MDT
    4

• 21433

QUASI-PLOT SPOILER!!  "Carrie"  1976

After reading Zack's answer, I realized I do the same thing more than I thought. Often, I can't help but admire a villain when a performer's performance blows me away in a great way - -  like Piper Laurie's excellent-to-me portrayal of  'quasi-villain' "Margaret White" in 1976's "Carrie."

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 24, 2022 8:55 PM MDT
      October 18, 2022 6:21 PM MDT
    6

• 9322
    I thought she was as bad as teen villains! The actress did a fantastic job making me loathe that character!  
      October 20, 2022 4:30 PM MDT
    4

• 21433
    Yes!

And she was amazing for sure. She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for this movie.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 27, 2022 1:44 PM MDT
      October 21, 2022 3:53 PM MDT
    4

• 691
    I rooted for Carrie because I love revenge movies, possibly because I'm a Scorpio. Scorpios love revenge. 
      October 24, 2022 9:23 PM MDT
    3

• 21433

QUASI-PLOT SPOILER!! "CARRIE"  (1976)

Maybe interestingly, I don't even think Carrie takes revenge - - she finally just reaches a point where she needs to take care of herself. And, at this point in her relatively young life, she has finally had enough. and, being relatively young, perhaps her choices at the prom were the immediate ways to stand up for herself.
    I may be misinterpreting, it wouldn't be the first time.

And, leave it to me again to not fit in with the others -- I'm a Scorpio, too, and I do not like revenge and I have never wanted to wreak revenge on anyone - - and there have been several in my life who (others have told me) deserved for me to strike back harshly at them. Yet, I never even thought of doing so.  :)
      October 25, 2022 8:27 PM MDT
    2

• 691
    Happy birthday!  

I considered the Carrie movies to be revenge movies. Perhaps they were only meant to be horror movies. I connect emotionally with the characters who are the little people or the targets of bullies. I'm happy when they get revenge on their tormentors or when their tormentors receive their karma.  
      October 25, 2022 9:35 PM MDT
    2

• 21433
    And Happy Birthday to you, too!  :)

Yes, and I do get your points, too. I especially like your further explanation of your thoughts in the above reply. 

And I agree with you - - I do not consider "Carrie" a horror movie, either. And I only consider the original -- I have no desire to see other Carrie movies, though I believe Julianna Moore is in one of them playing Margaret White -- I adore Moore as an actress. I'd watch it just for her.

I read Stephen King's novel before seeing the original "Carrie" movie -- and Carrie remains WAY up there on King books I've liked. I think this movie is one of the most effective Novel-to-screen adaptations of King works. to me, both novel and move are, to me, a character study of a person truly bullied. I just want to hug her, both reading the novel and seeing movie. I'd just want to be kind to her. She deserved none of what she received from others.

I'll stop here, I guess. :)

October 25, 2022 9:45 PM MDT
    2