Zack
Stu Spelling Bee
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Have you ever rooted for the villain in a movie, television show or book?

Have you ever rooted for the villain in a movie, television show or book?

Posted - October 15

• 691
    I don't always write my first thought in replies. I wasn't bullied in much in school. My problems came from older girls. They wanted me to join them in delinquency. I was afraid of joining them, so I was useless to them. However, I had empathy for the bullies' targets.

I first imagined a victim of bullying in school. I first thought that a victim of bullying should never say in school that Carrie is his or her favorite movie. I imagined that would cause the teachers to worry about violence in school. I then thought about my imaginary victim of bullies being interrogated by the principal. That's how my mind wanders.
      October 25, 2022 10:09 PM MDT
    3

• 50820

You: “All of these disjointed thoughts have just flown through my brain my entire life. What do you think it all means?”

Therapist: “Yeah, yeah, yeah, disjointed thoughts, abstract thinking process, deeper meanings, blah, blah, blah. You’re fine, that’s nothing to worry about at all. Let’s get to the real problem, the one you and your cousin share. Tell me one more time about the imaginary sandwich guy who despises mayonnaise and Vegemite, won’t go near avocados, obsesses on English grammar, and on breaking into some woman’s condo in a northern United State. Didn’t you even say you wanted him to buy you a yacht, and that your cousin thinks that he thinks that she’s the devil incarnate and is out to get him? This is what we call in my field mass hysteria.  I’m canceling my next appointment and devoting another hour to an extended session for you. (Grrrrrrr.)”
    ~

October 26, 2022 7:05 AM MDT
    1

• 164
    United States!
    Photo of officer here.
      October 27, 2022 9:36 AM MDT
    2

• 50820

A state. I’m referring to just one of them, not the country itself. But you know what?  Looking at it now that you’ve pointed this out, you’re right in that it is awkwardly written. I should have written a northern state in the US or something like that. Thank you for pointing it out. 
    ~

October 27, 2022 9:56 AM MDT
    3

• 691
    The officer is here.
      October 30, 2022 10:53 PM MDT
    1

• 691
    If you're imaginary, then I'll eat the sandwich I made for you. It's delicious.
      October 30, 2022 10:52 PM MDT
    1

• 50820

Wait, hold on a minute! Let’s not be hasty here! All that therapist stuff was just a rough draft of a screenplay I’m working on for my break into Hollyweird! We can share that sandwich! Don’t eat it all, ok? I can be there in no time!

~

October 31, 2022 1:51 AM MDT
    0

• 77
    Quite a few times, yes.
      October 19, 2022 3:04 AM MDT
    4

• 691
    There have also been quite a few times for me. Sometimes, I wondered about myself. I wondered if there was something wrong.
      October 25, 2022 9:41 PM MDT
    3

• 77
    Sometimes it's right to be wrong. 
      October 31, 2022 3:10 AM MDT
    1

• 7142
    When I read your question before opening the page my first thought was of Despicable Me! haha :) We just rewatched the movie a couple weeks ago. Yes, I often root for the “villain“. I’m finally going through my own “villain era” ( long over due) now, so I can relate to these movie villains now  more than I could when I was faking being tough as’ #villain. 

October 20, 2022 9:46 PM MDT
    5

• 691
    The title of Despicable Me in Spanish is Mi villano favorito (My Favorite Villain). That's why I chose Gru for the illustration.
      October 24, 2022 9:09 PM MDT
    3

• 164
    "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" This post was edited by NYAD at October 30, 2022 10:49 PM MDT
      October 27, 2022 9:38 AM MDT
    3

• 50820

Wow, that’s a great answer.
    ~

October 27, 2022 9:57 AM MDT
    2

• 164
    You will note that I edited it shortly after writing the answer. Just enough time to look it up to see if the actual title had a question mark. It did. After correcting you above, I had better fix it!
      October 27, 2022 12:35 PM MDT
    3

• 50820
      October 27, 2022 3:16 PM MDT
    1

• 691
    I haven't seen that movie yet. I found a later remake of it on YouTube but I couldn't find the original movie.
      November 4, 2022 9:31 PM MDT
    1

• 164
    The original starred Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. I see that the remake stars the Redgrave sisters. That could actually be good casting. It's a made for TV so I wonder about the quality of the production. But I'd sure like to try it. to find out. Thanks.
      November 5, 2022 6:03 PM MDT
    0