Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Military » Do you agree?

Do you agree?

It is the VETERAN , not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion....
It is the VETERAN , not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the VETERAN , not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the VETERAN , not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.
It is the VETERAN , not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the VETERAN , not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the VETERAN ,
who salutes the Flag,
It is the VETERAN ,
who serves under the Flag,
ETERNAL REST GRANT UNTO THEM, O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

Posted - November 10, 2022

Responses

Actually, it’s the US Constitution as written and adopted by the founding fathers and amended since by Congress and the states. War veterans have generally fought overseas, for no clear objective in some cases such as Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq.
      November 10, 2022 10:57 AM MST

You left out Afghanistan.  
      November 11, 2022 5:48 AM MST

OK.
      November 11, 2022 7:35 AM MST

It is powerful rhetoric, but I think even more significant are people who avert wars and killing, i.e. situations that make veterans.

I also don't believe that the countries Stu rightly points out threatened any of those liberties in the West.
      November 10, 2022 12:05 PM MST

I agree and would include Afghanistan in that list.  Talk about a cluster-f*
      November 11, 2022 5:49 AM MST

Some of those rights are God-given.  Others come to us through our Constitution.   People who serve in the military fight to preserve them.
      November 11, 2022 10:17 AM MST

It’s better and theistic-neutral to avoid the God reference and call them natural or basic human rights.
      November 11, 2022 2:26 PM MST

Better for whom?  I do not share that opinion. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 12, 2022 1:34 PM MST
      November 12, 2022 1:34 PM MST

Better in general when you are addressing people with various beliefs so as not to offend.
      November 12, 2022 1:36 PM MST

It's the VETERANS who are so disrespected by successive administrations that rather than getting effective treatment for the inevitable PTSD, they end up homeless and addicted.
      November 11, 2022 2:48 PM MST

Most of them, broadly, yes; but to Britons the VETERAN protected rather than gave us most of those qualities.

Many of our freedoms came from campaigning for them, until politicians gave in and granted them. That was particularly true of assembly and voting.

There was little or no freedom of religion in Britain and indeed most European countries for a very long time; and really it were the religious organisations themselves that ended their feuding.  Otherwise, freedom of speech more or less always existed here; or at least was not curtailed by formal action. Its biggest threat now is from individuals and small campaign groups using that freedom to suppress it in others for their own ends; not from any official bodies.

The right of a fair trial and the mechanisms for that started back in Mediaeval times with the Magna Carta - and that was the work of the nobility of the time.
      December 6, 2022 2:46 PM MST