Active Now

Malizz
WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » I was pleasantly surprised to listen to a 2018 NPR* interview of world-renowned author Isabel Allende. Would you believe how interesting her

I was pleasantly surprised to listen to a 2018 NPR* interview of world-renowned author Isabel Allende. Would you believe how interesting her

life has been?  If you're not familiar with her biography, please look into it; you may agree.  I first read her works many, many years ago, I even dabbled in trying to read them in their original Spanish versions to boost my learning of the language (it didn’t help me much, lol), so I was already aware of her writing before I heard the replay of the interview, it’s just that I had not known anything about her life.

*National Public Radio.

~

Posted - November 10, 2022

Responses

• La casa de los espíritus and La gorda de porcelana are two of my favorite books.
      November 10, 2022 11:39 PM MST

November 10, 2022 11:41 PM MST

¿Ya sabes mucho de su vida?
    ~

November 10, 2022 11:42 PM MST

• No escuché la entrevista en la radio, pero sí, leí sobre su vida. Leí La gorda de porcelana cuando era muy chica, con ese libro comenzó mi amor por la lectura. Cuando era una adolescente, tenía 15 o 16 años,  La casa de los espíritus era mi libro favorito.

November 23, 2022 9:58 PM MST

¡Gracias!
    ~
      November 23, 2022 11:30 PM MST

I did find the interview interesting. I'm drawn to stories of real people whose lives have been more difficult than many modern Americans can even imagine. These experiences of others jump to mind whenever I see all the lame political rhetoric that some people spew.

Recently, a friend of mine was excitedly telling me about a new movie called "The Woman King" starring Viola Davis that she couldn't wait to see. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RDaPV_rJ1Y

I just happened to see a documentary on the Africa channel which I found fascinating, and immediately sent her this info: 

The History of Africa with Zeinab Badawi is the name of the program.
    It was originally made for the BBC.
    There are 2 seasons of ten episodes each.
    The episode that I saw today was Season 2, 
    This post was edited by NYAD at November 23, 2022 9:59 PM MST
      November 11, 2022 5:22 PM MST

Thank you!
        ~

November 23, 2022 8:28 AM MST