Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Is Taylor Swift a major capitalist?

Is Taylor Swift a major capitalist?

Floor seats for the tour’s March 17 opening night in Glendale, Arizona are going for as much $17,010 while floor tickets for Swift’s show in Atlanta on April 28 on are listed for as much as $35,438.

Posted - November 18

• 42825
    Of course she is. Aren't all entertainers? And the folks who buy the tickets are major idiots.
      November 18, 2022 7:37 AM MST
    1

• 1283
    I Dolt Tree Ya!!
      November 22, 2022 3:41 PM MST
    0

• 3538
    I wonder how much she will see of each $17k though?

I don't what if any backing band she has, or if she just sings (I gather she is described as a singer) to recorded tracks; but she will no doubt have somehow acquired a comet's tail of back-stage and distant office people all wanting to be paid.

Plus the venue hire.... but surely the venue costs the same to run whether for some big-name star or a local amateurs' variety-night? I don't suppose the cleaners and booking-office staff are paid any more, or the electricity-bill is any higher, just because the top act is some over-hyped "star".

So where does the bulk of the money go? To the star? Or to her supposed agents and managers, ticket-agencies and such-like hangers-on?

I gather Adele is taking up a residency at some over-priced joint in Las Vegas, with tickets even costlier than this Taylor Swift woman's fees: up to $40 000 if I heard aright. Yet people are prepared to pay such ridiculous prices, and for what exactly?

..

Several months ago there was some debate in English Premier League football about some top-name player on the sort of stratospheric wages they collect just for being good at kicking a ball about. The News item I heard on this, revealed his "management company" (his, not the club's) pay themselves even more still... Heaven knows what these "managers" do to earn it, or rather not "earn" but justify to themselves charging it, ultimately ripping off the fans and the rights-buying TV companies.

In the world of the most expensive "celebrity" sports, I see the real fans as being at the bottom of the commercial pecking-order, there to be fleeced; and I suspect that too of the companies manipulating the likes of Taylor Swift, Adele and their cloned ilk, and their fans.   
      November 20, 2022 5:45 PM MST
    1

• 30139
    Is that original price or price of the scalpers? 
    If scalpers, she is not seeing much at all. 

But ticket prices must pay for the venue, the band, the roadies,  the producers, promoters, the tour buses, the fuel etc before Swift sees a dime. 
      November 20, 2022 7:31 PM MST
    1

• 15499
    The only entertainers who genuinely earn their keep are bar bands (a pub musician typically packs $1500 worth of gear into a $500 car to travel to a gig where he gets $50), and fighters. If I was going to put my body on the line to get clobbered, punchy and quite possibly killed (death in the ring has happened more than once), I'd want to be well paid for it.
      November 22, 2022 2:49 PM MST
    1

• 1283
      November 22, 2022 3:38 PM MST
    0