Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » (Funny answers, please.) Is it possible to have merely a psychological allergic reaction to certain* foods rather than a biological one?

(Funny answers, please.) Is it possible to have merely a psychological allergic reaction to certain* foods rather than a biological one?

*You know: avocados/guacamole, mayonnaise, Vegemite. The usual suspects. Grrrrrrr.

~

Posted - December 1, 2022

Responses

Everyone I know but my sisters and I are allergic to liver and sardines.
      December 1, 2022 8:00 AM MST

I'm allergic to ice cream and pizza, I break out in fat. 
      December 1, 2022 8:58 AM MST

I do not eat avocados/guacamole. I'm guessing that my aversion is psychological since I have no memory of ever eating or tasting them/it. Whenever I challenge myself that this aversion makes no sense and just try it, I can never actually do it. I'm perfectly normal otherwise.
      December 1, 2022 11:08 AM MST

It's a scientifically proven fact!  

In 1982, German psychologist Krause Wolff performed an experiment where he placed random objects near patients and recorded their reactions.  One patient developed hives on his left forearm when he was shown a photograph zucchini schnitzel.  Another patient developed a severe rash on her legs and thighs when shown a photo of Pommes Frites mit Majonäse.  Neither patient showed any reaction when fed the items (whilst blindfolded).

December 1, 2022 12:28 PM MST

Peanut butter. It looks and smells like the contents of an infant's diaper.

Serious answer - liquorice. When I was a kid, whenever my siblings and I had colds or flu, my mother used to feed us a decongestant mixture which was aniseed-flavoured ... so I have a subconscious association between that taste and feeling ill.
      December 1, 2022 2:11 PM MST

Of course.  Some foods we don't eat because they are just too damn ugly or stink or seem gross or they come from a place we will not eat... like intestines or testicles. The thought of them can make us nauseated. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 3, 2022 1:59 PM MST
      December 3, 2022 1:55 PM MST