Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Do YOU have the Constitutional right to record anything your eyes can legally see?

Do YOU have the Constitutional right to record anything your eyes can legally see?

Hello:

These days, everybody has a camera, and they're recording your government in action - especially the police - and the police don't like it..  When videographers show up to film at city hall, they're told the bureaucrats are "uncomfortable", and cannot be recorded.  When the cops arrive on scene, they're quick to tell the cameramen where they CAN record, and where they CANNOT, hence my question.  

Do you HAVE the Constitutional right to record ANYTHING your eyes can LEGALLY see?  If not, why not?  I say YES.   If you can legally BE where you are, you can legally record it.  Lemme ask it another way..  Do you, Joe Citizen, HAVE an expectation of privacy when you're in public?  If so, why?  No, I'm not talking about rest rooms.

I didn't link any particular website, because YouTube is RIFE with these type of videos.  Search for 1st Amendment Auditors.

excon

Posted - June 6, 2023

Responses

I had access to highly classified materials in the Navy. Recording that would have landed me in the brig.
      June 6, 2023 10:59 AM MDT

Hello Sailor:

Dude..  I looked for all the loopholes, and couldn't find any.  You, my friend, found one.  I hope I don't have any more.

excon
      June 6, 2023 12:06 PM MDT

I believe that when you're out in public (except for bathrooms, fitting rooms, and the like), there is no expectation of privacy.  Therefore, if one is out in a public place, one cannot claim they cannot be photographed.  
      June 6, 2023 12:10 PM MDT

No, legally you are not allowed to record other people's children at school and after school programs without the permission of the parent, it is considered a safety issue for the children. Some are in hiding from an abusive parent. 

In places, where recording would infrenge on copyrighted material. (A movie theatre, an live entertainment event)

In a completely public space, yes you should be able to record whatever is said or done. ie. Police stop, any gov meeting etc. 
      June 6, 2023 1:09 PM MDT

No answer from me to your interesting question.

I find the first-three-above answers very good.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 7, 2023 8:30 AM MDT
      June 6, 2023 5:56 PM MDT