Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Have you read the Bible straight through? If so, what translation/s?

Have you read the Bible straight through? If so, what translation/s?

Posted - December 14, 2016

Responses

Yes.  English Standard.
      December 14, 2016 12:51 PM MST

Hello Thriftymaid, long time no see. Thank you for your answer. I don't have the ESV but have heard it is pretty accurate. Does it have hell in it?
      December 14, 2016 5:43 PM MST

• We had to in Catholic school.   We were given different translations from different versions and often had to compare literal and dynamic translations.
    The Douay-Rheims and the American Standard are what we were to use for Religion class  homework and reference though. 
      December 14, 2016 2:57 PM MST

Thank you for your answer Glis. I have both of those on hard copy.

Have you noticed that the ASV has God's name in it while the Douay substituted Lord? 
    Psalms 110:1
    American Standard Version
    Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    The Lord said to my Lord: Sit thou at my right hand: Until I make thy enemies thy footstool. 

Did you also notice how the Douay has Job praying to be protected in Hell in Job 14:13?
    Job 14:13
    American Standard Version
    Oh that thou wouldest hide me in Sheol, That thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, That thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

Douay-Rheims Bible
    Who will grant me this, that thou mayest protect me in hell, and hide me till thy wrath pass, and appoint me a. time when thou wilt remember me? 

What difference did you notice?
      December 14, 2016 5:50 PM MST

• I've read the whole thing -- parts of it many times -- but never started from Genesis and ploughed my way right through to Revelation. My preferred version was the KJV though I've read several translations, including the New English Bible (NT).

And, no, I'm not a Christian and haven't been for nearly 60 years. It's part of our Western heritage though how valid a part depends on the individual.
      December 14, 2016 5:48 PM MST

Hello Didge. Thank you for answering. I don't have the NEB and don't know much about it. Through a quick search it appears to substitute God's name with LORD like most other modern versions. I found it interesting the way it renders John 1:1. Does it have hell in it?

John 1:1-3
    http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/neb.htm
    When all things began, the Word already was. The Word dwelt with God, and what God was, the Word was. The Word, then, was with God at the beginning, and through him all things came to be; no single thing was created without him.
      December 14, 2016 6:02 PM MST

• Sorry, I'm a little out of date. During the 1960s there were a number of translations and, of them all, the New English Bible (New Testament only) was the one being lauded by the evangelical churches. As far as I recall "God" was used and I don't recall any change to "Lord". I have no reason to think that John 1:1 differed from accepted scholarship.

There was one version at the time that substituted "logos". John 1:1 In the beginning was the Logos and the Logos was with God and the Logos was God, but that just made it unnecessarily complicated except for those few scholars who were into Greek symbolism.

There are parallel translations on the Net and I'm sure the NEB must be among them if you want to check it out.
      December 14, 2016 6:31 PM MST

That's okay. On God's name, I was referring to the tetragrammaton often transliterated as Yahweh or translated as Jehovah. Most translations replace it with the titles LORD or GOD. 

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ex6%3A3%3Bis12%3A2%3Bis26%3A4%3Bps83%3A18%3Bps110%3A1&version=KJV;DARBY;ASV;NLT;HCSB

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3068&t=KJV
      December 15, 2016 5:37 AM MST

Cover to cover, or should I say Alpha to Omega.  New American Standard.
      December 14, 2016 8:59 PM MST

Hello CallMeishmael. Thank you for your answer. Te NASB is one of my favorite translations. One of the few that translated John 1:18 correctly based on the older manuscripts. I wish they would have followed suit on 2 Pet 3:10 other than just putting in a footnote. They also would have done good if they wouldn't have translated Gehenna as Hell and substituting God's name with the title LORD.
      December 15, 2016 5:49 AM MST

No I have not. I should though. I go through spurts where I read more than others. We have several translations. I usually read the KJV when simply reading, we also have it on DVD which reads it to you. (Faith comes by hearing the Word of God)
      December 15, 2016 4:57 AM MST

Hello again my2cents. Thank you for answering. When I first started studying the Bible, I was using the KJV. I haven't read the KJV all the way through but done much research on subject studies with the KJV.
      December 15, 2016 6:37 AM MST

The Bible is not a long story and isn't told chronologically as to history.  There are some very good lists/outlines of the best order in which to read it if you want to read the whole thing.  I've done this.  The outline I found in a book connected some of the historical dots as I read from book to book.  I always share this when the subject of a total read comes up.  My former husband read it through one time and said he didn't know much more than before.  I still laugh about that.
      December 15, 2016 9:35 AM MST

I definitely got more out of subject studies with help from others than I did reading it straight through. For example, just reading it straight through, I didn't understand the prophecy at Dan 9:24-27:
    http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005151
      December 16, 2016 6:48 AM MST

I have read the bible now straight through maybe at least ten times. My routine is to read it and start anew once I finish it.  The translation is the new world translation.
      December 18, 2016 11:27 PM MST

Wow, Autumn, that is impressive.  I mean that.  I have studied but have not gotten through The Bagavad Gita even once.    That is The Song of the Lord.  It is the Hindu explanation of karma and God and how we should view our life and our actions on this physical plane.  But anyway, it is not easy to read for a Westerner, but it is way easier than the Bible.  I commend you. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 11, 2017 9:40 PM MDT
      December 18, 2016 11:35 PM MST

Well thank you, I guess. I did write I had just read it through. It's not such a big deal, when you're just reading it. Studying it, is different. :) take care!
      July 11, 2017 9:44 PM MDT