Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Wouldn't it be neat if men still challenged each other to duels when they demand satisfaction for being dishonored?

Wouldn't it be neat if men still challenged each other to duels when they demand satisfaction for being dishonored?

Posted - January 5, 2017

Responses

• Yes, dishonoured, fabulous. 
      January 5, 2017 5:05 AM MST

• I mean, we have all this gang and mob violence.  It's all random and full of collateral damage.   Maybe a return to the formal duel with set agreed parameters and a legal outlet two agree to engage in isn't such a bad idea.

If two knuckle heads want to fight it out between each other and see who bleeds first, who cares and why?   Grab the popcorn and enjoy the show.
      January 5, 2017 5:15 AM MST

• That's just two guys punching each other. There would have to be the odd flourish, a gauntlet thrown, some archaic piffle to make the whole thing worthwhile. It demands a certain level of pomposity, no? to make it duelly?
      January 5, 2017 5:18 AM MST

• Exactly.  Pomp and protocol is  the backbone of any good duel. 
      January 5, 2017 5:28 AM MST

• I wonder what the most rubbish duel ever was like..
      January 5, 2017 5:06 AM MST

• I bet it involved two French fellas.  I don't know why I say that, something just tells me that's where the money is.
      January 5, 2017 5:16 AM MST

• Do you want 'to google' first or shall I.
      January 5, 2017 5:18 AM MST

• Let's race! 1-2-3 GO!
      January 5, 2017 5:19 AM MST

• Start counting again, I wasn't looking ..
      January 5, 2017 5:20 AM MST

• Alright,   i was right.   Two Frenchmen.  , Monsieur de Grandpre and Monsieur de Pique, it involved blunderbusses and was over hot air balloons.
    Sounds about right.
      January 5, 2017 5:21 AM MST

•   January 5, 2017 5:23 AM MST

• I literally typed in most rubbish duel in recorded history and it came up numerous times.  Normally I would dig a little  longer but I read it was in hot air balloons and felt no extra effort was warranted.
      January 5, 2017 5:25 AM MST

• I concur.
      January 5, 2017 5:26 AM MST

• Four out of the top five involve French guys.  Told ya'.
      January 5, 2017 5:26 AM MST

• A couple of drunk Englishmen too. What a surprise.
      January 5, 2017 5:28 AM MST

• And y'all talk about the Irish..... Sheesh.
      January 5, 2017 5:29 AM MST

• You need something as a gauge. 
      January 5, 2017 5:32 AM MST

• True enough.
      January 5, 2017 5:37 AM MST

• I like the naked duel of 1806.

Humphrey Howarth, MP for Evesham fought Lord Henry Barry, 8th Earl of Barrymore, so lots of nobs involved.

Actually, more nobs than anyone expected, as Howarth stripped naked before the start of the duel.  While perfectly happy to kill a man, Lord Henry couldn't look at one, so both men declared honour to be satisfied and called the whole thing off.  :)

Everybody wins, every body gets to go home and a little bit of knowledge (in this case the relationship between wounds, cloth and infection) gets disseminated.
      January 5, 2017 5:36 AM MST

• Was it over who fathered Little Lord Fauntleroy?
      January 5, 2017 5:39 AM MST

• No, it was as Lucia has indicated.  Both men were at the races at Brighton and they were talking at The Castle Inn.  Talking (no doubt helped by alcohol) turned to arguing, but exactly what it was about I can't find without doing more than a surface search.

Oh, the Earl of Barrymore?  Irish.  :)  Not a one of the English, Welsh or Scots need any help to start an argument and never have, but it's nice that our cousins over the sea join in so enthusiastically.  :)  We're all just a bunch of bastardised scrappers really.
      January 5, 2017 8:26 AM MST

• LMAO at that last part.
      January 5, 2017 8:29 AM MST

• True though and always has been.  The very fabric of British life and it's history is a consequence of a pub fight, ridiculous as that may seem.  :)
      January 5, 2017 8:49 AM MST

• That's why it's funny.  
      January 5, 2017 9:06 AM MST