Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » In a scale from 1 to 5, where do your cooking skills fall? What would be your signature dish? Noodles and chips don't count. )

In a scale from 1 to 5, where do your cooking skills fall? What would be your signature dish? Noodles and chips don't count. )

Id say im about a three. 
I can maneuver my way around some shrimp scampi with garlic sauce over linguini, with a side of medium rare steak. 
You?

Posted - January 7, 2017

Responses

I really am a very good cook and can cook just about anything, except pancakes. I can't make a decent pancake to save my life.
      January 7, 2017 10:56 AM MST

• You mean they don't look like this?  -------->
    Image result for pancakes pic
      January 7, 2017 1:02 PM MST

No, not even close LOL.
      January 7, 2017 1:10 PM MST

• Oh no. HAVE to be close, no? Just forget the fruit, maybe. 
    Do you try homemade? Maybe the key is to make from a box. That's what I do, and they're great. Buttermilk  is nice. 
      January 7, 2017 1:37 PM MST

I have tried it both ways. Its not the mix, it's me.
    So now I just buy them frozen and they are just fine.
      January 7, 2017 2:22 PM MST

• Oh, well, that's good.
      January 7, 2017 6:21 PM MST

• Haha, that's funny. 
    I am particular about my pancakes too. ) They MUST have crispy edges. Well, not really a must, but I prefer them like that. 
    Why pancakes? That seems so easy?!?! )
      January 7, 2017 1:13 PM MST

I don't know. They just don't seem to get done in the middle like they should.
    I haven't tried to make them in a long time, so maybe I will try it again someday.
      January 7, 2017 1:18 PM MST

• Yes they are tricky.
    Don't forget the crispy edges, )
    Good luck!
      January 7, 2017 1:22 PM MST

• Three and a half, four, I guess.
    I'd say my signature dish is my lasagna, as it's well loved, in the family.
      January 7, 2017 12:59 PM MST

• Four?!?!
    That's pretty good J. 
    What's the secret to good Lasagna to you?
      January 7, 2017 1:14 PM MST

• Well, let's keep it at the three and a half, I guess, lol
    I'm not much of a lasagna person, as I don't care for cheese, but I use a really tasty sauce, (don't think it's available in the States) and mozzarella and some parmesan. (the shaker kind) Basil and oregano in with the canned sauce, only, and that's it for the sauce.
      January 7, 2017 1:26 PM MST

• Hm Mozzarella AND Parmesan together as you cook it?
    Ill have to try that.
    Thanks J. ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 7, 2017 6:12 PM MST
      January 7, 2017 1:34 PM MST

• Yes, both, but not too much parmesan. 
    Hope it works for you.
    You're welcome. :)
      January 7, 2017 1:44 PM MST

• I figure it would give the chess a grittier texture. No? Maybe?
      January 7, 2017 6:19 PM MST

• Not really, no. Melts right in there.
      January 7, 2017 6:22 PM MST

• I'd be generous and give myself a 4, though only for some things.  Others I won't have a clue about.  :)

Don't have anything signature-ey, but I most enjoy cooking anything Italian or any roast dinner.
      January 7, 2017 1:05 PM MST

• 4?!
    That's up there.
    I have done the spaghetti and meatball thing at times. But I feel that, like Mexican food, it all usually has the same basic flavors. Dishes just look different or have a different wrap or different type of pasta. Do you know what I mean?
      January 7, 2017 1:19 PM MST

• Well yes, in a way.  It's one of the reasons I like Italian food - at it's core it's basic and easy and I often only use a couple of pots.  But it will only taste the same as other, similar things I make if I put the same stuff in and heat it similarly.  

Nobody wants to eat vaguely similar stuff all the time so I change the ingredients, add some or take some away, use different meats, veg, herbs, etc, etc. 

There are limits of course and if Italian or Mexican food isn't a favourite and is repetitive feeling like that is perfectly understandable.  

But look!  :)

Pan fried chicken and mushrooms and onions, some lemon juice, a white sauce with white wine, parsley and basil, pan fried green beans.  Oil the pasta when drained and heavy on the salt and pepper for it.  And now I want to go play in the kitchen....
      January 7, 2017 2:16 PM MST

• What a great answer MrW. 
    I do cook with stir fry regularly, and finding the right moment to add mushrooms and other vegetables so they don't lose their crisp was a tricky thing to figure out. 
    Thank you, nice answer.
      January 7, 2017 6:16 PM MST

I don't know how I get by actually.  I became a vegetarian and am still learning how to put things together.  Just made stuffed mushrooms for the first time...so yummy.  Very tired of eating the
    same things over and over again.  Same food, different day...boring.  Wish I could eat salad, it would  open up a whole new area of eating well. 
      January 7, 2017 1:24 PM MST

• Why can't you eat salad Morning?
      January 7, 2017 6:17 PM MST

a zero since i dont cook and i just microwave
      January 7, 2017 1:57 PM MST

About a 3. I cook but not from scratch. 
    Lasagna is a favorite at my house.
      January 7, 2017 7:18 PM MST

• 3.1 is alright My.
    Lasagna seems to be a pretty popular dish to cook. Huh?
    Thanks for responding. )
      January 8, 2017 4:41 AM MST