DCLXVI
goody2shoos
TrumpianZeitgeist
gigi_fire
Discussion » Questions » Names » Do you know the origin of your last name?

Do you know the origin of your last name?

My maiden name is British and my married name is Czechoslovakian.   

Posted - January 8

• Hey sister! My last name is also Czechoslovakian in orgin. My bloodline is a different story with Czech, British, German, Powhatan Indian, etc. I'm a mutt, lol.
    3

• Good Morning. I'm a mix of Scot/Irish/British/German, I'm a bit of a mutt myself. :)
    3

• 11528
    Mine may have been of English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish origin. It entered my family most likely via plantation practices of assigning the owners' surnames to slaves and/or to freed slaves. 
     When I traveled to Nassau, Bahamas in the late 1980s, an older black gentleman struck up a conversation with me by first asking me my surname. When I told him, he recounted that throughout the Caribbean, my surname is quite common among generation after generation of black people, and that was also based on the practice I stated above. 
    ~
    2

• I've heard that as well. 
    1

• 3507
    Wilson. 'The son of Will or William'.  Wow, that is hard to figure. Ancestors are English but with Danish undertones. Father and uncles all had big Roman noses.
    2

• I get a lot of my DNA from the Scot/Irish side. Straight nose, green eyes and pale complexion. 
    1
  • ALF

4548
    British origin ... means a shelter for animals.

There's a town, in Northern England, with that name.

2

• Not sure what my maiden name means, but it's as British as Smith is American. 
    2

• 11528
    Stiff-Upperlipp?
    ~
    1

• I do try to keep that... :) My maiden name is very very common over there. Not too many with that name here. My married name is even more uncommon here. I believe that my daughter and myself (?) are the only ones in Tennessee with this last name. There are only 6 letters and two syllables in it, but it's so uncommon that most people have trouble pronouncing it until I tell them the correct way to say it. 
    0

• 4548
    Do you know if your surname has a Coat of Arms behind it?
    I would have posted mine, but I haven't Photo Shopped the name out yet.

1

• This is my maiden name. I don't have an issue posting it because I am FB friends with a lot of people here and they all know my real name already.
    1

• 4548
    Very good ...
    Pickford Name Meaning
    English: habitational name, perhaps from Pickforde (‘pig ford’) in Ticehurst, Sussex. The surname is now most common in the Manchester region, but it does not seem to have reached there before the 17th century. This post was edited by ALF at January 8, 2017 11:24 AM MST
    1

• 4548
    So yours almost has the same meaning as mine ... an animal place.
    1

• I've never really looked it up. Thank you, that's interesting. 
    0

• A very large number of people in the UK will associate your name with this...  :)

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/
    1

• Sounds like a big well know company.  Thanks,  I'll research and see if there are other companies with my name.  :)
    0

• 2123
    It's English in origin. It comes from a village in Lancashire called "Bleasdale". My last name is a variant on that. It ultimately comes from Old Norse and Old English and means something like "white spot valley". 

My specific spelling doesn't seem to have a coat of arms, but this is closely related:

1

• That's pretty cool.  I wonder why you can find the correct spelling.
    0

• Yes, it's Anglo-Saxon for 'Eagle power' - Arnuwalda in Norse.
    0

• My surname is the Welsh equivalent of Johns or Johnson. It probably derives from the Middle English meaning, Nobody Special. 
    0

• 6375
    German 100%
    0

• 1758
    Both my maiden name and my married name are English names.

My maiden name means raven of peace.  My married name means somebody who takes care of horses which kind of fits because I have three horses.
    0

• 3991
    My family name is (with appropriate language specific adjustments) "Son of Steve"
    0