Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Teresa May is meeting Trump and will tell him that America needs to step up and help lead the world or others will step in and do so. Agree?

Teresa May is meeting Trump and will tell him that America needs to step up and help lead the world or others will step in and do so. Agree?

DO you think that America should? It seems from everything Trump has said and done so far he's only really interested in protectionism. Protectionism and that loud mouth that opens before he thinks will just alienate world leaders still further. 

Teresa May seems to be saying.. grow up and start acting like a leader.. yes?

Posted - January 27, 2017

Responses

Trump will soon learn that we need our European allies.  Let's hope the cost of that lesson does not cost us too big a price.
      January 27, 2017 11:02 AM MST

• Agreed...  you are aware I am sure that America has lost a lot of its standing re Europe.. the French are less than enamoured these days.. building bridges is the way to go but Trump is busy building walls :( 
      January 27, 2017 11:50 AM MST

Yes, I am aware.  I doubt the Germans are very happy with us either.
      January 27, 2017 12:51 PM MST

Through "strength" was it? We are sounding more like a bigger bully now than ever before. My bad. That was the new U.N Ambassador Nikki Haley. This post was edited by Zack at January 27, 2017 6:19 PM MST
      January 27, 2017 11:04 AM MST

• I agree that the United States needs to be a world leader if not the leader of the free world. However, if we don't protect ourselves first and make sure that we are secure enough to continue to be around to lead the free world, then there isn't much point in being a world leader. Basically, lets make sure we can protect ourselves first before we worry about everyone else. We can do this by rebuilding our military, securing our border, and growing our own economy; all of which is on President Trump's agenda.
      January 27, 2017 11:05 AM MST

• Ahh interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.. I think the point was that no one else thinks America will be a good leader.. with Trump at the helm.. as I said he's already alienated half the rest of the world leaders.. do you really think that they will respect him? SO he isn't at present on course to lead the world,.. it's things like democracy, and their human rights record that the rest of the world look to .. and Trump will be lacking there.. 

That was the point of May's discussion.. it was wake up you are supposed to be a good example..  Protectionism and irritating the rest of the world arent a good example I am afraid. 
      January 27, 2017 11:48 AM MST

You still don't get it, do you? Trump HAS no agenda. His agenda is whatever seems trendy as he wakes up each day. As a sociopath he lacks principle - hence, he lacks any capacity for long-term planning.

One day this, next day that. He was a Democrat, then a Republican. Pro-choice, then pro-life. He changes more often than a chameleon, has more spots than a leopard.

January 27, 2017 12:00 PM MST

This is what is so scary in my opinion. 
      January 27, 2017 12:58 PM MST

Trump has an agenda. It is to make America prosperous again. 
    I was once a Democrat, and once pro-choice. We all learn and grow as we learn more. No if he goes back to pro choice or being a Dem then it is a problem. 
      January 27, 2017 1:24 PM MST

I have the other comments and yours make the most sense to me, we must take care of our country where the last administration failed miserably.
      January 27, 2017 2:19 PM MST

• Exactly. If our country fails while we are helping everyone else, what good are we then? Even during a flight, the flight attendants will tell everyone that in the event of an emergency, put you're own breathing mask on first then help your neighbor. You're no good to anyone if you're dead.
      January 27, 2017 3:24 PM MST

Teresa is a very smart woman IMO, and she knows what she needs to do to get Trump on the right track.
      January 27, 2017 11:17 AM MST

I like her.  She strikes me as a very level headed woman.  I hope she can help.
      January 27, 2017 11:28 AM MST

I agree Peas. She is playing the game very well.
      January 27, 2017 11:36 AM MST

I would have loved to see Trump go up against Margaret Thatcher.  She would have cut him down to size.
      January 27, 2017 12:59 PM MST

That would have been fun to watch. But I bet he would have not met with her and there would have been some nasty tweets over that meeting LOL.
      January 27, 2017 1:23 PM MST

Absolutely!
      January 27, 2017 9:41 PM MST

Just listening to that press conference and it was more like "we're really glad that you're the President because finally we have someone that will step up and lead . . .
      January 27, 2017 11:24 AM MST

• Oh... I see.. erm I think you have a different interpretation than the rest of us then.  I can assure you that wasn't the ethos but I know Trump supporters will put their own spin on it, not suggesting you would of course, but they always do that.. alt facts, alt interpretations etc. 
      January 27, 2017 11:33 AM MST

Too bad one had the gumption to tell President Obama to lead that leading from behind is not leading at all. 

January 27, 2017 2:35 PM MST

I saw that press confrence for that meeting on Youtube. She looked like a big, bumbling idiot who looked desperate to stay on Trump's good side. Donald was in control throughout. Like he always is. 
      January 27, 2017 5:12 PM MST

I think it's interesting that you saw something different from what I saw.  I had the distinct impression she had managed to begin wrapping him around her finger during their first private meeting.  Initially, during his speech, I just didn't feel he was the one in control.  He kept repeating himself, giving her & the UK complements. It sounded & looked to me like he was uncomfortable.  I do think, during the press conference, he fared better and handled that obnoxious question from one of the reporters well.  But generally, his prepared speech appeared stilted to me.  I assume it has to do with his not being an experienced politician but, he has been in the public eye for years so I'm not sure why he isn't a bit better at it.  When Teresa May spoke I felt she commanded the room.  When it was her turn to answer questions from reporters, I saw a woman in complete control and who, as most politicians do, responded easily off the cuff.  I felt she handled those questions with aplomb and if I were scoring performance I would give her the higher rating.
      January 29, 2017 10:30 AM MST

Of course he was giving the UK compliments, he's a big fan of the Brexit. But I was reading quotes from her saying that she was going to lay the law down to him, by telling him that he's wrong with the way he speaks about and treats women, and she basically fumbled about on the spot and just agreed with everything he had to say. She kept herself well in the respect of being polite and civil, but that's about it.  
      January 29, 2017 9:28 PM MST

Regarding what she said prior to the meeting, I think you'll agree we just don't know what went on behind closed doors.  We can speculate but until we are given some other insight, it's all a guess.  I suspect she more than likely stated her position and he stated his. As far as what we all saw, from my perspective they both agreed with each other and complemented each other more than I felt was necessary. Sorry but I just didn't see her fumbling.  Personal perspective is always interesting to me.  Frankly, although I felt she had managed to get the slight upper hand during their meeting, publicly it looked like a very tense, uncomfortable love fest between them.  Kind of like when two co-workers get together after drinking too much and then find themselves face to face with each other in the morning.  My take on it was that the two of them were still trying to figure out where they stand and how to work with each other and then, put on happy masks for the public.  I guess time will tell as to how this relationship will move forward. This post was edited by Harry at January 30, 2017 6:12 AM MST
      January 30, 2017 6:08 AM MST