Active Now

DannyPetti
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If a Supreme Court Justice DIES in Trumps LAST year as president, should HE pick the successor, or should the NEXT president?

If a Supreme Court Justice DIES in Trumps LAST year as president, should HE pick the successor, or should the NEXT president?

Posted - January 31, 2017

Responses

The answer is in the Constitution. Give it a read.

(Yes, the President has a Constitutional duty to pick someone to fill that vacancy. At the same time the Senate has the duty and the power to accept or to reject the nomination in whatever time-frame that they feel is appropriate.)
      January 31, 2017 6:54 AM MST

Hello Red:

I
    don't think my question was confusing..  Nonetheless, I'll help you out.

I
    SHOULD have asked if Trump PICKS his replacement, SHOULD Mitch McConnell DENY a vote on it, just like he did when Obama made his pick??

exco
    n
      January 31, 2017 7:14 AM MST

No, you question wasn't confusing. It specious though. And now that I see you response it occurs to me that it was also very biased (imagine that . . .)
    My answer is accurate and it stands!
      January 31, 2017 8:10 AM MST

The winner of the election should make the appointment.
      January 31, 2017 7:26 AM MST

The question was the "last year" of the Presidency. The election doesn't take place until there's only about 2-months to go. So your answer makes no sense.
      January 31, 2017 8:11 AM MST

My answer makes complete sense. It is the same reason Obama's last pick did not get a vote.
    Election season starts 2yrs into the term.
      January 31, 2017 9:59 AM MST

Oh, sure; if you ignore the US Constitution. 

Even the example you feebly try to cite has the President actually making an appointment, as is his or her obligation under that Constitution. It's up the the Senate at that point to say yea or nay as in what actually happened.

Also "Election season" is not the actual election. Just ask any of those people that didn't give Trump a snowball's chance in you know where. 
      January 31, 2017 11:13 AM MST

I have no issues with the Republican Senate blocking Obama's pick until the election. But I not going to be hypocritical about it and say the Dems should not do the same in the same situation. 
      January 31, 2017 11:19 AM MST