Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Do you understand the color wheel?

Do you understand the color wheel?

I'm studying color theory. It's not as easy as you think. The best thing to do is to get my paints out and start mixing. There is confusion about what is purple, violet, magenta, rose, mauve, and other shades of mixing primary and secondary colors. So what comes after tertiary colors? 

Red and blue makes magenta, but then there are so many shades of red and blue! 

I can't wait to get to the tints! 

Posted - April 2, 2017

Responses

There is no color called purple. It is an illusion produced when the eye sees mixed red and blue.

If you look at a rainbow you will probably see a space between blue and violet. That is indigo and most adults can't see it. Some young people can see it. Indigo is the color of "blue" jeans, "blue" corn, and eggplant/aubergine.

All biological eyes use the same system as color cameras and computer monitors: mixtures of red, blue, and green. They even use the same chemicals to filter those colors.
      April 2, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

Wow, I didn't know that Jewels.  Thanks! 
      April 7, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

Hi Marguerite, The Beloved~  What an exciting study!  Very cool.  I am far from an expert.  In fact, I have never taken a formal class in the study, but would like to someday.
    All I can offer is my personal experiences in dabbling with color and how it reacts with light and the images I am trying to portray. 
    I have found that light has a lot to due with the hue you are aiming to achieve. Making something appear shadowed will give lilac a much deeper purple.  Changing the light also changes the name of the color you make.  Since black and white signify the two extremes, you can change the mood of your painting immensely.  As basic as that example may sound, it also has to do with who is perceiving your painting or drawing.  What I call royal blue may be a little different than how your eyes see it.  A lot of people are color blind too.  Men more than women. Why that is, I don't know.  I'm really bad at putting shadows correctly throughout a painting.  I hope you are much more successful than me.
    To try and answer your question, this is what I was able to find for you.  I hope it helps.  Good Luck and happy painting!!

What comes after tertiary?
    And for the record the progression is: 1st = primary, 2nd = secondary, 3rd = tertiary, 4th = quaternary, 5th = quinary, 6th = senary, 7th = septenary, 8th = octonary, 9th = nonary, 10th = denary, 12th = duodenary and 20th = vigenary. These come from the Latin roots.Dec 6, 2006 *

*Point of Reference:  
    nodsw.com/blog/leeland/2006/12/06-what-comes-after-primary-secondary-tertiary
      April 7, 2017 2:35 AM MDT

Oh yeah? Well maybe you can explain why we keep having gubernatorial elections and nobody ever elects a gubernator!
      May 9, 2018 12:01 PM MDT

I love color, period.....as a retired makeup artist, I had a hard time explaining to people the basis for using certain colors as they pertained to thir skin tone......you'd think I was speaking in Latin or Greek.

as for the color wheel, it always fascinates me!!  still does!! I have one and if you get one, I think you'd find the answers to your questions.

you can, of course, see them online........so do look into it......

and have fun!!!

:-D

:)
      May 9, 2018 7:55 AM MDT