Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you remember when left handed children were forced to change and write right handed? Did it ever happen to you?

Do you remember when left handed children were forced to change and write right handed? Did it ever happen to you?

Posted - April 29, 2017

Responses

Left-handed people are demon possessed. This is a fact because grandma told me so.
      May 1, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

(demon-possessed)

She was wrong, by the way. 
      May 1, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

You know how some people like decaffeinated coffee? Well, similarly I sometimes like dehyphenated words. :)

As long as you know what I am saying, I've made my point. :) 
      May 1, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

As long as you either include or exclude the necessary hyphen, the words have different meanings, so in order to be understood, using correct punctuation won't kill you. 

~
      May 1, 2017 8:24 AM MDT

There's a big difference between "Let’s eat, Grandma" and "Let’s eat Grandma".
      October 27, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Hey!

I have that same T shirt too.
      October 27, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

What if you're talking to someone on the phone ?
      October 27, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

The pitch, rise, fall, tone and inflection of one's voice, the use of pauses, vernacular, diction, rate of speech, etc, can all be used to convey subtle and/or not so subtle expressionism when talking in the phone. For instance, when a person speaks to you and asks a question, it often sounds differently than when making a statement. Even though it's not the written word, there are ways to mirror certain punctuation in the way we talk. 
    ~
      October 27, 2017 9:27 PM MDT

So, "body language" is totally unnecessary.
      October 28, 2017 9:47 AM MDT

Who said it is unnecessary?  I certainly did not. 

When talking to someone wherein he or she cannot see you, do you think body language plays a part?

:|
      October 28, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

Logically you actually did. You admitted that conversations held on the phone were quite understandable via voice inflection without benefit of being able to observe body language.
      October 28, 2017 12:19 PM MDT

If you'd like to continue arguing the point, fine, we can argue, but please don't put words in my mouth, or more accurately, please don't write my script for me. 

If it's your opinion that I  meant something that I did not write, or if you interpret what I wrote in a certain way, please state it as your opinion or your interpretation.It's a neat trick of semantics to state that hat I wrote means something other than what I wrote, but that doesn't change fact. Observing someone when he or she speaks is different than merely hearing the voice or reading their written words.  Body language largely has to be viewed or described in order to be expressive.  It's as simple that. If you want to complicate it further, you need not attribute it to me. 
    ~

October 28, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

No Randy, 

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Just read what you wrote and apply basic logic. 

There's no argument here either. I merely present facts. You just chose to ignore them.

And while body language does add a bit of nuance to what's being said it's NOT mandatory to understanding.. Another example . . .blind people seem to have no problem understanding what they hear, also without benefit of being able to observe "body language". This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 28, 2017 7:21 PM MDT
      October 28, 2017 7:19 PM MDT

Salt, you are the one who is ignoring facts, and here's one for you: a big difference between facts and opinions is that opinions need facts in order to be proven true, but facts don't need opinions in order to be true.

To lighten the mood a bit, the Monty Python television show presented a hilarious skit about arguments, and your having said this is not one calls it to mind.  When you and I dissect and rebut each other's statements in a continuing series of back and forth as we are doing now, to call it anything other than an argument is argumentative, and in itself an argument about arguing within an argument about arguing.  Unless of course, you would care to argue that it is not.

You and I are in agreement about one particular point you made above: body language is not mandatory to understanding.  I hope you weren't intimating that I had stated otherwise, because I did not.  Also, blind people can in fact "observe" certain signals of body language, not through vision, but in other ways that their senses detect things in addition to hearing.

Your turn.
    ~
      October 28, 2017 8:37 PM MDT

dont remember that but my brother is left handed
      May 1, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

Yes, but that was pretty much a "Catholic School" thing by then. I escaped that stupidity.
      October 28, 2017 12:39 PM MDT