Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » "Why is 'You shall have no other gods before me' in the Ten Commandments?"

"Why is 'You shall have no other gods before me' in the Ten Commandments?"

What is your understanding on this commandment?

Posted - May 2, 2017

Responses

I that was meant for when Abraham was first inspired by the idea that one all powerful creator God would be better than believing in multiple gods so to eliminate belief in all the previous gods. 

But why would God command 'no other gods before me' and then allow Satan to rule the world -as some Christians assert he does?

This post was edited by Kittigate at June 2, 2017 11:10 AM MDT
      May 2, 2017 1:06 AM MDT

• To me "Satan rules the world" was more of a metaphorical statement, but if it were literally true, it would seem to undermine the power of God, as would the existence of other gods. 

As someone who believes in God, I don't personally believe in any other supernatural beings, especially not any evil ones. I believe the only evil is the potential of man to be so. 
      May 2, 2017 9:58 AM MDT

Ephesians 2:2
    2Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

The Prince of the power of the air, is the evil one, Satan.
      May 5, 2017 1:10 PM MDT

Who is Jesus?
    The Word
    Part III of the Series. Bible study on Jesus as the Word.
    Thus far in this series, we've talked about Jesus as God, and our Creator.
    In this article, we talk about Jesus as the Word, and the significance this bears in reference to the working of Jesus in our lives.
    Jesus is the Word of God
    As we've discussed in the first two articles, Jesus is the Word.
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (Jn. 1:1-3).
    In Revelation, John sees Jesus coming on a white horse to wage war with the enemies of God.
    "He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God" (Rev. 19:13).
    Jesus' Weapon Is His Word
    Jesus fights evil with His word.
    To the church in Pergamum, Jesus referred to Himself as the one who has the two-edged sword, indicating that His word is the weapon of God (Rev. 2:12; Heb. 4:12).
    Then in the vision of His war with the beast and the kings of the earth, Jesus defeated them with the sword that comes from His mouth -- The Word of God.
    "From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty" (Rev. 19:15).
    "And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh" (Rev. 19:21).
    As the Word, Jesus is the Power of God
    The word of the cross is the power of God. Therefore, when we preach Christ, we are preaching the power of God.
    "For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Cor. 1:18).
    "But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God . . ." (1 Cor. 1:23-24).
    Paul's statements are in perfect harmony with the fact that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation.
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes . . ." (Rom. 1:16).
    Since Jesus is the Word of God, He is the power of God for salvation (Rev. 19:13; 1 Cor. 1:18, 24).
    Statements in Hebrews and First Thessalonians also enlighten us regarding Jesus as the Word and power of God, as He works in us.
    "But to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God . . . (1 Cor. 1:24).
    Now the God of peace . . . equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ . . . (Heb. 13:20-21).
    ". . . the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe" (1 Th. 2:13).
    Jesus is the power of God, who works in us through the Word of God.
    As the Word, Jesus is the Wisdom of God
    Paul also tells us that Jesus is the wisdom of God.
    "But we preach Christ crucified . . . the wisdom of God" (1 Cor. 1:23-24).
    "But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God . . ." (1 Cor. 1:30).
    Therefore Paul says:
    All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are in Christ (Col. 2:3).
    The word of Christ richly dwells in us, with all wisdom (Col. 3:16).
    As the Word, Jesus is the Truth
    The word of God is truth (Jn. 17:17).
    So then, as the Word, Jesus is the truth.
    "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth" (Jn. 1:14).
    Therefore, Jesus said of Himself that He's the truth.
    "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me: (Jn. 14:6).
    He is:
    The true bread (John 6:32).
    The true light (John 1:9).
    The true vine (John 15:1).
    The faithful and true (Rev. 19:11).
    Jesus is the one and only standard of truth.
    Anything that disagrees with His word is false. It's from the devil, the father of all lies (Jn. 8:44).
    Anything in agreement with His word is truth.
    They are words of sober truth, as the truth is in Jesus (Acts. 26:25; Eph. 4:21).
    Because, "the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth" (Eph. 5:9).
      May 5, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

Basic principle---You can delegate authority, but not responsibility.
      May 2, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

Satan rules this world because we let him ....by listening/following him instead of God.
      May 2, 2017 1:06 PM MDT

God let's Satan rule so 'we' follow God. 
      May 2, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

God gives us free will to choose who to follow sadly to many follow the wrong one.
      May 3, 2017 4:29 AM MDT

I am following instincts inherited from my distant ancestors who stole bananas from each other,  killed each other, committed adultery etc.; 'wrongdoings'  began long before mankind came to exist. This post was edited by Kittigate at May 3, 2017 5:48 AM MDT
      May 3, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

We disagree on who our ancestors were but in either case, we as humans can choose to be better than that.
      May 3, 2017 5:46 AM MDT

Yes all right. 
      May 3, 2017 5:50 AM MDT

If you are speaking of our ancestors being animals , they do not have a conscience, so therefore they are not guilty of sin, and I agree with my2cents that we are created in the image of God. Animals are and always have been animals, not humans.
      May 5, 2017 1:17 PM MDT

Created in the image of God is not really true. When the new one God idea was being developed they didn't want him to be thought of like previous gods as image of man, woman or beast so they just turned something around giving more glory for God to say man was created in the image of God instead. 

Evolutionary theory indicates conscience and all other of our human characteristics developed over the ages from a common ancestor of the animal kingdom. 
      May 9, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

• Two things .. with all  their implications .. other gods exist ... I'm jealous ..
      May 2, 2017 1:07 AM MDT

• That's one way that the religious faction keeps control of their flocks....they're telling you not to think for yourself, not to explore other options than what's been crammed down your throat....believe this way or else! 
      May 2, 2017 6:50 AM MDT

God is not a god of control, he gave man the ability to choose which way he wanted to go, whether to follow the precepts of God or to go his own way. He did lay out the consequences of not adhering to his word, and they are quiet dire, but again, he will not force anyone to do anything, you are a free moral agent, free to choose to do your own thing, or to follow the will of God. We end up sending our own selves to Hell, by rejecting the free offer of salvation given thru Jesus Christ.
      May 5, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

God does not have to control people because there enough religions that are already doing that. This post was edited by Lulu'sMom at June 2, 2017 11:27 AM MDT
      June 2, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

Fallen Angels known as "The Watchers" descended on Mt. Hermon and taught the descendants of Cain that they were gods. They also bred with humans AND animals, corrupting all flesh and beginning a race of Nephilim, a derivative of themselves, the Bene ha Elohim. They began most of the world's religions and were the inspiration for the Greek, Roman and Egyptian pantheon of gods. Each deity corresponding to a fallen angel with a certain area of expertise. God commands his people not to worship them as gods and that he is the one true God. This post was edited by O-uknow at May 5, 2017 3:05 PM MDT
      May 2, 2017 7:15 AM MDT

• I always found the implication of this commandment, that others gods exist, to be an interesting one, considering that most modern Christians assert there are no others. Though there seems to be a somewhat contradictory attitude to the existence of other "evil" supernatural forces, all of which must have been created by God in some manner or another. 
      May 2, 2017 9:57 AM MDT

The society that the Israelites had just left were known for their many "gods."   I don't read it as implying the existence of many gods; I see it as absolute clarification of reality. 
      May 2, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

"the implication of this commandment, that others gods exist" becomes less supportable if one considers the commandment to mean that you must not take others as gods besides your creator God.
      May 4, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

If you're giving another religion priority, then you're not sticking to my rules.

Effectively, you can't serve two masters. 

There was a lot of backsliding when Israel intermarried with those already in the promised land. The attraction of some of the frankly carnal gods is understandable. 

May 2, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

It means exactly what it says....God it the only God and He is who we are to worship.
      May 2, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

• Then why does he admit there are other goods and not to worship them?
      May 2, 2017 2:38 PM MDT