Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » During a Mike Pence commencement address at Notre Dame 100 folks got up and quietly left. Would you ever do something like that? Why?

During a Mike Pence commencement address at Notre Dame 100 folks got up and quietly left. Would you ever do something like that? Why?

Posted - May 21, 2017

Responses

Now... I am hesitant to reply as I know in the past you have said things are rude.. such as booing.. not saying i agree with booing but I kinda think it's people's right to leave if they are not enjoying what's being delivered.. like, if you were at a restaurant and the service was terrible would you stay? If you were watching a film and it was soooo terrible, boring that you felt your time would be better spend doing something else and not being tortured... wouldn't you? 

I don't see it as a disrespect thing.. or if it is, then it works both ways.. if Pence delivered a speech that was so boring, offensive, etc that people couldn't bear it then yes, people will leave..
      May 21, 2017 11:59 AM MDT

Different strokes Addb. I suspect it was planned. They did it to make a statement. People have a right to react however they wish to whatever they wish whenever they wish. You make choices and you are known for them and by them. I don't like to call attention to myself.  I'm a sidelines/behind-the-camera kinda gal. So I would sit and stay until it was over. UNLESS what he said was so offensive it caused me to want to throw up. Then in the interests of causing less attention I'd leave before I started barfing. I can get very loud. Choices. We make them according to what makes the most sense to us don't we?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      May 22, 2017 12:59 PM MDT

DO we know that what he said didn't make them want to barf? I don't know the story but you said they got up and quietly left...so that's not really drawing attention to yourself, or if it is then it's being done in a reasonable way.. a peaceful protest.. I do think people have that right.. to vote with their feet and to protest in a reasonable manner.. 

I still liken it to a film you wanted to watch but find it's dreadful .. so you leave half way through.. life's too short to endure some things...

If I had to listen to Trump I'd either barf, shout out, or leave.. I think leaving is the more dignified option.
      May 22, 2017 3:04 PM MDT

I wouldn't attend in the first place Addb. The students KNEW who was going to speak so I think they just agreed in advance to show up and walk out. That isn't my cuppa tea. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply. I did read that at some point Pence talked about what a great leader Trump is and perhaps it was at that point that the walkout occurred but I don't know for sure! :)
      May 23, 2017 2:22 AM MDT

You may be right.. I can't say.. but even if they did.. it was a pretty low key and peaceful protest.. I think I would listen to Pence.. but if he said Trump was any good as a leader
      May 23, 2017 2:13 PM MDT

I think Pence did say something like that  Addb. I'm not sure if that is when the folks got up and left or not. Pence is a perfect toady lapdog. Just waiting for Trump to get impeached and take over. How much better off we will be I can't say. It all looks bad any way you look at it! Baloney is baloney no matter how you slice it! Doom and gloom! AARRGGHH! Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 24, 2017 3:46 AM MDT

• I've never had the desire to draw attention to myself in that way. If such an event truly bothered me, I simply wouldn't make an appearance. Our children(spoiled brats) who wear their sensitivities (chip on the shoulder) so close to the surface of their skins, will never survive in real world conditions. The sooner they find out, the better.
      May 21, 2017 12:09 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply driftwood. I suspect it was planned to make a statement. I could be wrong.
      May 22, 2017 12:54 PM MDT

Of course I would.  I wouldn't yell and throw tomatoes at the speaker or feel the need to set a car on fire.  Thank you Notre Dame, Our Lady, for the example of how to behave.  Many other institutions have allowed the lunatics to run the asylums, so to speak. 
      May 21, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

no, i think its rude to do that
      May 21, 2017 3:15 PM MDT

I would not have gone.
      May 21, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

Me too neither Ele. They knew who was speaking but I'm thinking they went just so they could get up and leave. Make a statement. I wouldn't do that. That is premeditated rudeness. Not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      May 22, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

Atleast they didn't make a scene. I probably won't do that unless I was by myself or the group I went with agreed on leaving, too.  I usually won't go to things like that by my lonesome.
      May 21, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

I NEVER do Patch. Go by myself. Unless what the person said was  REALLY OFFENSIVE I wouldn't leave. I mean they KNEW going in who was speaking and what he'd likely be saying. I just don't like to make a scene. The only time I ever did that was because I was very nauseated and thought I was going to throw up and I made it to the bathroom just in the nick of time. I had no choice. Otherwise? I'd stick it out. I'm pretty sure. Jim and I usually agree on things so if I wanted to leave or he did we'd leave together! Thank you for your reply Patch! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 22, 2017 12:39 PM MDT
      May 22, 2017 12:38 PM MDT

Depends on the event i attend, and why I would even attend in the first place. Was i led to attend under different pretenses? Was i lied to? This post was edited by Autumnleaves at May 24, 2017 3:47 AM MDT
      May 23, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

That is an EXCELLENT point Autumn! I hadn't even considered that possibility. Ordinarily if I don't like the speaker I'm not gonna attend the speech. I mean what's the point? To make yourself miserable? BUT if it is sold as something it isn't then we can get trapped! If it were REALLY OFFENSIVE to me then I'd leave as quietly as possible! Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Wednesday! :)
      May 24, 2017 4:38 AM MDT