Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do you think the core difference is between "liberals" and "conservatives"?

What do you think the core difference is between "liberals" and "conservatives"?

I think that what it really comes down to is empathy and concern for others. I think that conservatives even admit to this by using the term "bleeding heart liberal". As if caring about others is a bad thing!  Isn't ironic that most conservatives incorporate their alleged "Christian" religious beliefs into their political thinking? What if these folks cared as much about humans after they are born as they do before they're born? I guess they'd all be liberals. 

Posted - May 25, 2017

Responses

• traditionally liberals had a distrust of government as well.
      May 27, 2017 1:22 PM MDT

'traditionally' government meant "The Nobility", with the 'king' as the head of government and only noble houses represented in the decision making (eg: the UK upper house).
      May 28, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

I hope that got you more than just a passing grade! 

Your reply and explanation makes me have more understanding of anarchists. My issue with their beliefs is that human beings aren't capable of controlling themselves. We're not inherently good enough to control ourselves, sadly. 

American liberals definitely aren't trusting government these days! :)

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
      May 28, 2017 6:51 AM MDT

May 27, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

Thanks so much for the link. I want to argue with some of the assessments, but I know that it's just a good illustration of how few of us have 100% liberal or 100% conservative views. 

I'm amazed at how people who think of themselves as very conservative have no qualms about accepting assistance from the very policies they are supposed to be against. The hypocrisy is staggering. 
      May 28, 2017 6:58 AM MDT

• You're kinda narrowing it down to the American Christian right and neocons ( a form of progressivism) which are both relative new comers to the table and sort of  strange corruptions of the whole political spectrum. They didn't exist before the 50's and 60's really.

To say one political leaning is more empathetic than the other is missing the mark and trying to distil it down to something way too simplistic and even more divisive.
    In today's dynamic the general divide tends to be the conservative champions the individual and the community culture while today's liberal tends to champion the herd collective and globalism.  There are lot's of cross-overs and exceptions, but in simple terms and right/left, liberal/conservative are entirely subjective terms that are clearly or globally defined.  Despite how many want to put give these term universal definitions they are subjective and vary based on the ruling ideology of a nation.
      May 27, 2017 1:31 PM MDT

The history of how the Republican party became the "Christian" party is interesting, to say the least. They certainly were successful at converting many voters by claiming to be "God's party". I personally know people who were not swindled into believing that their policies were "WJWD", to quote the famous fad of the 90's. People who fought for civil rights and women's rights, because they believed that was what Jesus would have them do. (I guess they believed in left-wing Jesus, hehe). 

I stand by my assessment. In my opinion, people who identify as "conservative" don't seem to care about anyone except those like themselves. As you say, conservatives champion the individual and community... as long as that individual/community is white, Christian, heterosexual, able-bodied and minded. I see conservatives having little or no regard for those who are different. 

I agree with you about these terms being extremely subjective. Very few people share identical views on everything. I think that in the US, identifying as liberal means that you have concern and compassion for all people, regardless of their gender, nationality, religion, sexual preference, socioeconomic status, physical/mental ability. It also means acknowledging things like climate change and the need to conserve natural resources. To me, it means realizing that many of billions of $$ spent on "defense" would be better spent on the health and well-being of people in this country, rather than interfering in the business of other countries. Which, ironically, is what led to the creation of ISIS! 

Thanks for thoughtful response, Glis! Hope you're having a good weekend. 

May 28, 2017 6:43 AM MDT