Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » What are some good ways to keep kids active during the summer?

What are some good ways to keep kids active during the summer?

Posted - May 26, 2017

Responses

Send them to summer camp?  I was joking but just to say I have always envied that. We don't have summer camps here.. and I wonder why not? It seems a fantastic plan to me :P  

When my sons were younger, and I was too.. I couldn't drive, I hadn't passed my test at that point.. we would go out for walks, discover nature, revisit changing landscapes.. Both my sons grew up loving the outdoors and my older son is still a serious walker/outdoors person.. He will very often go off for an all day walk, taking himself a picnic.. and he recently discovered something called a bothy.. this is a small dwelling, quite basic, that you can just go and stay in without asking and without booking, but you have to take your chances regarding whether someone else is already there..They tend to be out in the middle of nowhere.. SO he still loves nature.. 

Aside from that cinema, picnics, crafts, we used to go to the library, swimming oh lol and I used to make them do workbooks (stats show that kids regress a few steps over the summer break as they stop using learning.) 
      May 26, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

• My favorite way to stay active in the summer was a game called Airsoft. It's basically the video games Call of Duty or Battlefield come to life. You get firearms that shoot plastic pellets and you shoot each other to accomplish a goal. It's incredibly fun in groups and extremely active. If you're interested in this for either your kids, if you have any, or any other kids, check out Airsoft Atlanta's website. I also recommend the Echo 1 brand. When I played a couple years ago, that was my brand of choice!

Airsoft Atlanta
    https://www.airsoftatlanta.com

Echo1
    https://www.airsoftatlanta.com/collections/echo-1
      May 26, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

• Have you seen the movie, "Cool Hand Luke"?
      May 26, 2017 8:09 PM MDT

Huge Giggles over here whistle6!!!
      June 14, 2017 9:54 AM MDT

• Good.  You got yer mind right.
      June 14, 2017 3:58 PM MDT

Have them go to day camp at the Y or go off to Summer Camp. 
      May 26, 2017 9:56 PM MDT

SPCA is often wanting volunteers to help with chores around the building;  feeding,  walking dogs etc. I dunno if a certain age of maturity may be required 
    You could enquire -if your kids may be interested in doing that.
      May 26, 2017 11:36 PM MDT

My mother didn't have to find ways to keep us active. We found our own ways. On nice days we would play ball or go fishing or walk to the zoo or go to the park swimming pool. On gloomy days we would stay inside and play cards or board games. We were rarely bored.
      May 27, 2017 8:55 AM MDT

send them to camp, they'll keep them active there
      May 29, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

Hi Just Asking~ Anything that has to do with water.  Make a water slide, take them to the pool, summer camp gives both the kids and the parents a break, a wadding pool, even water guns to have a water gun fight.  Kick the can is a fun game too
      June 14, 2017 9:56 AM MDT
  • AG

Frisbee
    Blowing bubbles
    Slip 'n' slides!!!
    Sprinklers
    Badminton
    Hockey

Too bad you can't just come over and play in my father's backyard. He has a huge one and he bought it as part of his house because of all the children he has.
      July 21, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

With a broom and a dust pan.
      July 21, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

• Cutting the lawn
    Grooming the horses
    Weeding the garden
    Chopping wood for the fire
    Churning the butter
    Collecting the eggs
    Milking the cows

July 21, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

"Good Night John-Boy..."
    Slave driver you are ALF!!  I never knew!!
     Giggling with you/at you, always ;)
      July 21, 2017 9:07 AM MDT