Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Besides housepets, do you have any living creatures around that carry rabies?

Besides housepets, do you have any living creatures around that carry rabies?

Posted - June 3, 2017

Responses

We don't have housepets here that have rabies.. that was the thinking behind our used to be practically impossible pet immigration rules.. every pet had to go into quarantine for 6 months to keep the country rabies free.  Things are better now and we have a pet passport scheme.. I have an American cat that a friend sent me.. he came in just before things got easier...my friend sadly died, chasing paperwork and stuff to get him transported :(  

We don't really have anything else much that has rabies either.. However, that's not to say we are 100% rabies free! Bats apparently have it, or can have it.. and that advice is to never touch bats.. it's actually illegal to touch bats anyway as they are a protected species and you are supposed to have a licence to handle them..  so fortunately it's incredibly rare that anyone is infected and it doesn't seem to have been passed on to anything else
      June 3, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

We have wild coyotees.  That is the first thing that comes to mind for Arizona.  We have poisonous rattlesnakes and scorpions.   We have a few dangerous spiders like the brown recluse and we have some dangerous animals lurking in the mountains like mountain lions here and there.  

We don't have quite the wild life variety that you guys enjoy.   I can see why some countries get very paranoid when non-native species enter.   It can wreak havoc sometimes.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 4, 2017 3:02 PM MDT
      June 3, 2017 3:05 PM MDT

We have foxes and I think badgers can be carriers too.
      June 3, 2017 3:23 PM MDT

I'll bet badgers are some of the worst carriers.
      June 3, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

Bats, raccoons, foxes, a few coyotes, skunks, and a few rabid fans of the Cavs. 
      June 3, 2017 4:24 PM MDT

So LaBron not Stephen?  (re: a question of mine from yesterday) This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 3, 2017 4:39 PM MDT
      June 3, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

Foxes, raccoons, coyotes, bats, deer, marmots. Someone told me opossums can't get rabies and we have lots of them.
      June 3, 2017 4:36 PM MDT

Oh my!

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 3, 2017 4:41 PM MDT
      June 3, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

• Animal control and police officers had sectioned off our neighborhood one day looking for a rabid silver fox that had already attacked a few people. Everyone was warned to stay in their homes the majority of the day.
      June 3, 2017 7:01 PM MDT

no, i dont have any pets
      June 3, 2017 9:32 PM MDT

• We have plenty of skunks, raccoons and bats around here.
      June 3, 2017 9:34 PM MDT