Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever tried to swipe to turn the pages of a book? Which do you prefer - electronic or real books

Have you ever tried to swipe to turn the pages of a book? Which do you prefer - electronic or real books

I did that today! In fairness I haven't read a physical book for years and am just so used to reading electronic formats that I just automatically swiped.. Then sat and stared at the book for a split second wondering why the page wasn't turning!!

Posted - June 4, 2017

Responses

I do like ink on paper, but it's not always practical. Ebooks are more convenient, I have a library in my pocket.
      June 4, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

I actually prefer e-books.. I made that decision  a few years ago, probably quite a few now.. I find e-print easier to follow and i lose my place less and I find physical books are terrible dust traps at home.. So if I had my way I'd have everything on electronic format. My only problem though is that I still have so many unread physical books.. So i dug one of them off the top of a huge pile of unread books today..
    I think I have always thought that what counts most is the words not what format they come in.. but e-books seem to work best for me and I do love the fact that wherever I go I have a whole library with me and in that way I can take advantage of even short opportunities to read.
      June 4, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

I've never read an electronic book. So I guess I can't have a preference .But at this point m perfectly happy with real books. (Even though I read all the benefits of e-books in yours and Slartibartfast's answers/comments.)
    :) 

Yeah, that dust . . .
    ;)
      June 4, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

• Real books. I've tried e-books. They sometimes have formatting mistakes, some books are not suited electronic format (like linguistics books with all the tables and diacritics), they're all relatively expensive (whereas I can get real books for free at the library, not to mention cheap used book stores), and I like being able to hold a book in my hand, seeing and feeling how much I've read and how much is left. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 4, 2017 6:06 PM MDT
      June 4, 2017 5:49 PM MDT

Me, too; as far as your comments on real books.
      June 4, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

• I prefer electronic such as Amazon Kindle. I'll have every book I'll have ever purchased and it all fits in the palm of my hand instead of taking up space that I don't have in my one bedroom apartment.
      June 4, 2017 7:02 PM MDT

real ones
      June 5, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

I love being able to feel and notice how far I've gotten through and have left to go in a book. I also love the appearance of a well-read and dog eared book, because it reminds me of how much I love it. So yes, I'll always prefer a real book even if the e-books are more practical :)
      June 16, 2017 6:15 AM MDT