Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What kind of side dishes do you include in your food shopping?

What kind of side dishes do you include in your food shopping?

Posted - June 7, 2017

Responses

• I like good rice sides like Red beans and rice. I buy a lot of those vegetable mixes called :Steamers. They are really good with any meal and are good by themselves.
      June 7, 2017 7:22 AM MDT

Why do you keep stealing my answers?
      June 7, 2017 7:30 AM MDT

• Sorry!
      June 7, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

Rooster, don't be.  Men like that kind of stuff.  It is simple, tastes just fine and is a direct answer to the problem of "I'm hungry NOW".
      June 7, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

LOL  Because you are both grown men. 
      June 7, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

Frozen and fresh veggies. The new powdered mashed potato packs are excellent. We also like Rice-a-Roni.
      June 7, 2017 7:35 AM MDT

I love your choices.   Sometimes fresh can really mess things up.  I have had so many problems with rice that I NEED A RICE COOKER.  But sometimes it is the quality of rice.  It just doesn't cut it, the cheap brands.

So, Rice-a-Roni is great.  You can use it as an ingredient too and beef it up.  And the potatoes?  They really got that one right too. 
      June 7, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

Cat food. ( for my cat).
      June 7, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

You don't serve the cat fresh fish?  Daily?  With bottled water to drink?  You don't live in Beverly Hills.

(they do that nonsense there) 
      June 7, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

Just catnip.
      June 7, 2017 8:26 AM MDT

• "Sweet potato fries"

June 7, 2017 8:20 AM MDT

Oh, I forgot to answer. 

I was busy talking to these food people on here.

Salad fixings.   I figure that cures a lot of ills, if I have a dinner or lunch that is fattening.  If I eat a good fresh salad first, I don't eat as much of the higher calorie stuff.  And salads can taste great.

I also like appetizers that have things like an antipasto (peppers, olives, cheeses in olive oil)  

I love fresh, sliced tomatos with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and some salt.

Brocolli salad.   (Lemon salt pepper garlic  and olive oil)  steam the broccoli and make it cooked.  Not hard.
      June 7, 2017 8:22 AM MDT

• fresh and frozen vegetables (mostly potatoes, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and green beans), Basmati rice, and pasta. i don't buy boxed starch side dishes due to the extra and unwanted ingredients. i don't buy canned vegetables because they are over cooked and over salted. i like to eat whole/naked foods. the only things i add are Irish butter, Himalayan salt, fresh garlic, turmeric, and white or black pepper.

edit: i forgot to mention fresh garlic and turmeric. i also use other fresh and dried herbs/spices, as needed to marry up the side-dishes with the main dish. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 7, 2017 12:19 PM MDT
      June 7, 2017 9:53 AM MDT