Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Just because someone leaves a religion that no longer works for them, does it mean that they no longer love God or want to serve him?

Just because someone leaves a religion that no longer works for them, does it mean that they no longer love God or want to serve him?

Posted - June 9, 2017

Responses

Possibly, but not necessarily.

It seems that most people who came to religion through infant baptism up through early adulthood sooner or later will go through a "crisis of faith" that will cause them to question the tenets of their faith or even the existence of God Himself.

It is then, it seems to me, that we either validate and accept the faith we know or reject it entirely (for some indefinite period of time, if not permanently).

And what I have just described is---at its essence---a (necessary?) opportunity for personal growth and understanding, and the first opportunity for registering our intent and choice in the matter.

I had one in my late 20's and early 30's---in retrospect, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Faith informed by reason is thoroughly exhilarating. This post was edited by tom jackson at June 11, 2017 4:56 PM MDT
      June 10, 2017 1:11 PM MDT

If this had been my question, that's asker's pick right there. My own epiphany was like that.

Have you ever read Søren Kierkegaard? Called the "Father of Existentialism", he decribes that kind of faith existence. Fascinating stuff.
      June 11, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

Not enough to say I understand everything he talks about, but the individual experience is obviously very important. This post was edited by tom jackson at June 11, 2017 7:13 PM MDT
      June 11, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

not necessarily
      June 10, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

I dont care what happens, everyone deserves a good meal.
      June 10, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

Huh?

June 10, 2017 8:32 PM MDT

Sort of unfair dont you think to stop serving god because you happen to  dislike his character played in the Bible?  I dislike Captain Marvel but I wouldn't stop serving him just because I also disliked Captain Marvels charachter in the comic book he stared in either. Your not here to like or dislikes, your hear to serve everyone who wants to be served. Thats how we grease the machine. Just remember, dont pretend to be god just to cut in line and get dibs on the pork ribs. ;+
      June 10, 2017 8:49 PM MDT

You got me with the pork ribs LOL.
      June 11, 2017 12:36 PM MDT

hear! hear! CP
      June 20, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Just because someone leaves a religion that no longer works for them, does it mean that they no longer love God or want to serve him?

==================================================================

1- It’s a fact that a person cannot stay in a religion that no longer works for them.

2- If a person leaves a religion and becomes an atheist then yes, it does mean that the person no longer loves God nor wants to serve him. That’s obvious

3- If a person leaves a religion to join another one then it does mean that the person no longer loves the God of the religion they have left, nor wants to serve him. That’s obvious too.

4- God, the creator of all is the same of course, but different religions see Him in different ways.

June 20, 2017 1:31 PM MDT

Many are leaving their religion because they are dissatisfied, and dissalusioned. This doesn't mean they don't love God, they are still looking for answers.
      June 29, 2017 11:39 PM MDT

True, and many people discover that they can have a relationship with God without the restrictions that religion can have on them.
      June 30, 2017 1:38 PM MDT