Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Do you ever buy plants from a nursery?

Do you ever buy plants from a nursery?

You know, as in not from Home Depot or Wal-Mart, but an actual independent nursery?

Nurseries around here seem to not last long. A chain of nurseries just announced it's shutting down. But I can't find the California native plants that I enjoy growing at Home Depot. Only nurseries have the wide selection that an avid gardener is interested in. 

Posted - June 10, 2017

Responses

There has been an increase in new nurseries around here. I think once these folks find out how much work it is, they drop out.
      June 10, 2017 12:28 PM MDT

no but ive bought plants from the supermarket before
      June 10, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

Yup.
      June 10, 2017 12:50 PM MDT

There are quite a few independent nurseries around here. In fact, two of them recently moved to new locations where they would have more space.

We planted some shrubs and flowers recently that we bought from one.
      June 10, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

The garden centre just down from me at the end of my road used to be a nursery... still is more nursery than most.. We have three main options here.. the home depot type things you mention, (I include DIY stores, supermarkets, general stores etc) we also have garden centres that originally bought plants from nurseries and sold mainly just plants and gardening stuff... then there are nurseries that just grow and sell plants.. 
    Garden centres here are moving more and more away from selling plants to selling BBQs, garden arches, paving, and fancy outdoor dining furniture...
      June 10, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

Just thinking.. is it possible to order the seeds and grow your own?
      June 10, 2017 3:25 PM MDT

I grow many of my own plants, but I don't have a heated greenhouse, so the quality of the plants is not as good. Now that I have planted them outside, they are growing very well.
      June 10, 2017 9:18 PM MDT

Cool. I used to grow zillions of plants myself.. I had a propagator or just unheated and i did pretty well :)  I tend not to grow anything from seed now as I don't have time, or really space in my garden to plant much.. but I did love doing it when I did.. I'd start Jan 1st keen as anything. 
      June 11, 2017 1:55 AM MDT

No, its too immature.
      June 10, 2017 3:27 PM MDT

Yeah, my friend owns one. I stop by occasionally to buy plants for my mother, she loves to garden.
      June 10, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

You bet
      June 10, 2017 9:15 PM MDT

• "Yes I have, but not lately."
      June 13, 2017 12:14 PM MDT

• NO! there arent any in my city and its so sad. we only have a home depot. they have a decent selection compared to other similar stores ive seen but a few plants i have had to purchase online. i searched for months before i was able to find a pilea p. and i had to purchase my monstera d. as a cutting from someone online This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 5, 2018 6:29 PM MDT
      September 5, 2018 6:27 PM MDT