Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What causes some to perform very well on tests while other equally knowledgeable/intelligent folks freeze?

What causes some to perform very well on tests while other equally knowledgeable/intelligent folks freeze?

Posted - June 11, 2017

Responses

• I have no idea, but I'm one who freezes up. No matter how well I know the material, the minute the word TEST is introduced, all knowledge flies right out of my head. 
      June 11, 2017 7:07 AM MDT

I'm the exact opposite Karen. I LOVE to take tests. That's the only way I can gauge what I know and what I don't. They never scare me because I learn from them. Now when I was in school and had to stand up in front of the class and give a speech? Oh my gosh I died. I was nervous and got very red and I was shaking. Public speaking is not my strong suit! However in high school when I was in Drama class I had no problem. I guess because it wasn't me, Rosemarie, up on that stage. It was the character. I was always relaxed and at ease. Strange isn't it? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      June 12, 2017 5:03 AM MDT

Self-confidence. Intelligent extroverts generally do better on tests than those who are less sure of themselves. I was a champion test-taker, because even when I was wrong I wasn't scared.
      June 11, 2017 7:19 AM MDT

I was a painfully shy child Sbf. I still have bits and pieces of shy within me. Yet I loved to learn and LOVED to take tests because that was the only way I could find out what I hadn't learned. I never got nervous taking tests. No matter how I did I was always at ease. Standing up in front of the class to give a speech? Not so much. That terrified me. In Drama Class I was fine because Rosemarie wasn't up on the stage, the character was. But yep. I'm an avid test taker. I'm confident in who I am. I can't comment on the "intelligent" part because that's up to others to determine. An extrovert I'm not at all. So I guess I'm a mixed bag! Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 12, 2017 5:07 AM MDT

I think Slartibartfast is probably right. That would definitely explain why my more studious classmates were often surprised and a bit angered by my out-performing them on tests. 
      June 11, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

Well sweetie if your more studious classmates were angered by how well you performed what they were jealous of (not angry I betcha) was that you were smarter than they were. Learning comes easily to some people and not so easily to others. Some LOVE to learn. Others do so because they are forced to and they have no choice. I personally think the key to love of learninbg is to teach kids how to read at a very early age so they can develop a love of reading BEFORE they go to school . I did that with my son. Anyone can do it. Kids are like sponges. They absorb everything. Unfortunately some or maybe many parents leave that to teachers and expect them to work miracles. Thank you for your reply SA and Happy Monday! :)
      June 12, 2017 5:11 AM MDT

maybe theyre getting distracted by the noise around them, i know i do
      June 11, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

I used to study with music on nin the background pearl. Complete silence distracted me.  So I turned the radio on and studied and was very content. I always studied in the kitchen. In the living room the family was watching TV and that would have been distracting to me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      June 12, 2017 5:15 AM MDT

• Stress of being under pressure.  Focus too much on the fact it's a test and any time constraints and aren't able to focus on recalling information or applying it.
      June 11, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

I never felt stressed when taking tests or in advance of taking them. I LOVED and still LOVE taking tests. That way I can find out what I know and what I don't.  How can that be scary?  However if I had to stand up in front of the class for any reason I was terrified! Thank you for your reply Glis and Happy Monday! :)
      June 12, 2017 5:16 AM MDT