Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Do designers have in mind what they're going to design and just put it on paper or do they start drawing and see what comes out?

Do designers have in mind what they're going to design and just put it on paper or do they start drawing and see what comes out?

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

I don't need to draw anything.

June 18, 2017 6:01 AM MDT

Paper airplanes? I was thinking about the guy who designs Lamborghinis. Does he already know what it is going to look like before he puts pen to paper or does he just start drawing and see where it ends? Thank you for your reply and the sketches Ele. Are they YOURS or cut-and-paste?
      June 18, 2017 6:11 AM MDT

Google Images is one of my best friends.
      June 18, 2017 6:19 AM MDT

Oh that's the source? Thanks Ele. I Google a lot but I didn't know about Google Images. Have to check it out! :)
      June 18, 2017 6:41 AM MDT

Element, I have to say, you truly inspired me.  I just grabbed a piece of paper out of the printer and followed your given instructions!  I then walked across our living room and sailed my perfectly constructed airplane right at Don's head.  Don, who was innocently sitting at the kitchen table working on drawings for the house he is building
    KAAPOW!!!!  Right on the ol' noggin!
    He immediately grabbed another piece of paper out of the printer and made his own design of an airplane.  Ironically, they are very similar :) I needed your instructions.  Thank you ;)
    This has now started a paper airplane war !!  Hahahahahaha!
    What a great way to play on a Sunday!  Thanks Element :) :)
    What a kick!
      June 18, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

I don't know but I'm sure that every designer does everything the exact same way using the same thought processes and methods, because creativity impedes the process.
      June 18, 2017 7:20 AM MDT

it probably depends on the designer, theyre all different
      June 18, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

I do believe there are different types of designer drawings.  The blueprints Don works on are very different than the free-lance drawings I create.  I agree with both Jane and Pearl even though their answers are opposite.
    If you are talking about cars, they do have to have certain specifications that will constitute them as a car.  Those same rules apply to the blueprints Don is working on.  It has to meet specifications to be considered a house or building.  Those formats are specific. If they have an idea and jot it down on a cocktail napkin because they envision their perfect home, they are called sketches.  Frank Llyod Wright is one of my favorites.  You can google him and find many cool facts about your question.  I've tried to post it for you but I can't seem to get it to stick.  As far as cars, Porsche and Jaguars are masterpieces.  I'm not sure about those.  I would assume it would be the same as building homes or any other structure. This post was edited by Merlin at June 19, 2017 2:57 AM MDT
      June 18, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

• I think that most of them have some idea before they sketch anything. Just sketching randomly without some plan goes nowhere. 
      August 3, 2017 7:46 AM MDT