Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » How is your relationship with your father?

How is your relationship with your father?

Did you get him a gift or see him? My relationship to him is very low, he recently assaulted/hit me when I didn't agree with my manic mother (who was in a rage as well) and I did not call the police on him, as people told me after I should have. (it was multiple times hitting) I don't even know If I wanted to get him anything... I got him a small gift, but even that was a strain for me. He barely says hi to me, has defended my sick mother for so many years (even her severe emotional and also physical abuse). I see everyone on social media wishing their dad a Happy father's day when I want to tear up or cry. I've had some people here tell me I need to most likely cut ties with someone like this, yet its hard in that I have no one else in my life to ever help me financially , if I needed.  How do you feel about Father's day and your overall connection to him?

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

He's dead.

It was very tough going here and there.  But when we were both adults,  I saw his side of the situation a lot better.  He was a very good man.  He was flawed, but he was really better than any dad I could have picked for myself.

I am happy I had my dad.
      June 18, 2017 10:19 AM MDT

I'm glad he was good and a dad who cared.. that is the Key. Does the man care and love his kids? I can't say so for my own but it is nice to see and know some dads DO really enjoy and care.
      June 18, 2017 10:42 AM MDT

He died when my mother was pregnant but I was told I am alot like him, physically and mentally, so we probably would have gotten along great.
      June 18, 2017 10:36 AM MDT

Wow that is really neat.. I'm sorry he passed though :( Ty for your reply
      June 18, 2017 10:41 AM MDT

Thank you Baybreeze. ;)
      June 18, 2017 10:56 AM MDT

I haven't seen my sperm donor since I was six and I never will as he died over 20 years ago. 
      June 18, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

Aww :( Tha t sucks... it's really a shame some fathers just only care about themselves instead of seeing what amazing kids and humans that are gee, hmm, part of THEM... I think that is the term I should use as well, sperm donor, b/c the word 'father' left when I was very small. Sorry again Element
      June 18, 2017 10:40 AM MDT

• I'm sorry to hear that, Baybreeze. I'm fortunate to have an excellent relationship with my dad. My dad is largely responsible for my current intellectual pursuits, and he's always been very supportive of me and what I want to do in life, and he's always been great to my mom. I'm happy to spend time with him this weekend :)
      June 18, 2017 10:41 AM MDT

Thanks Nevan for your words of kindness. I'm glad your dad is so great, that is awesome! To have a supportive person , especially parent, that is just priceless; have Fun!
      June 18, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

He is like a leaf in the wind. No clue if he's alive or dead. Changed his number and vanished 19 years ago. Wrote off all his kids sign no documents and only a DNA test to prove he's the dad. Live with no regrets. 
      June 18, 2017 12:14 PM MDT

i wouldve called the police on him, and i wouldnt have gotten anything for him to be honest, both my parents are gone
      June 18, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

• I pathologically hate my father.
      June 18, 2017 8:01 PM MDT

My father promised my mother when they divorced he would send me to college.  The time finally came and my mother was dead.  His new wife, my step-mother, refused to let him contact me without falling into an "emotional crisis" (his words).  I put my self through school, thank you very much.  Now she's dead and he was trying to reestablish a relationship with me until I reminded him that he didn't put me through school as promised.  Now he doesn't write or call anymore.  Good riddance, I say.  What's more SHE had him put all his money (about 10 million dollars in a TRUST FOR HER CHILDREN).  And he thinks she had my best interest at heart.  What a bunch of crap.
      June 18, 2017 8:48 PM MDT