Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Is there a movie in which you remember the opening theme song more than the movie itself?

Is there a movie in which you remember the opening theme song more than the movie itself?

Mine is from "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"
~ a fun theme!
If you've not heard it - - at least wait until the 0:26 seconds-or-so mark when the men start singing

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

"You Only Live Twice" without doubt the best theme song ever in my opinion.
      June 18, 2017 8:22 PM MDT

I had never heard this before, CallMeIshmael! Thanks! I liked it! I don't watch much of James Bond films. I think I've only seen one or two of them.

I saw as I watched the opening credits and theme to You Only Live Twice (I looked it up on youtube) that John Barry wrote the music. I like much of his work. Here is probably my favorite theme to my favorite music score by Barry -- from the film "Frances." Perhaps you'll like it if you get a chance to listen to it.
    Though I love the movie very much, too -- a very sad film based on the life of real-life actress Frances Farmer. Jessica Lange is great in the movie to me.
    :)

Thanks for answering!

June 19, 2017 1:34 PM MDT

Platoon.  The music is Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber - a most haunting piece and the one played for the funeral of Grace Kelly.

June 18, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

Barber's piece is one of my very favorite pieces of music I've ever heard. It truly deserves its famous reputation.
    Here is a book you might enjoy reading -- Barber's piece has quite a story behind it. A very interesting read to me!
    "The Saddest Music Ever Written: The Story of Samuel Barber's 'Adagios for Strings' " by Thomas Larson. I recommend the book highly!
    Thanks for answering, SpunkySenior!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 19, 2017 1:41 PM MDT
      June 19, 2017 1:38 PM MDT

Thanks.  I will attempt to find the book. 
      June 19, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

You're welcome, SpunkySenior!
      June 19, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

• Yessss! Well maybe no.. I love the entire movie ... but I think this is the best opening song to any movie... ever. I was listening to it when I  found this question :) it's so very good. 

https://youtu.be/uiToZVLlmZY

June 18, 2017 11:51 PM MDT

Yes, what a great opening to any movie! I love the movie, too!

And Rocky . . .  HOT!!!!!

Thanks, Jaimie!
      June 19, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

• You're welcome :)It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over and never get sick of :) 
      June 20, 2017 4:38 PM MDT

I haven't watched it over and over but I don't think i woudl ever really tire of it, either!

Shame on me for sharing this totally egotistical memory - - a group of friends of mine, we were all  planning to go to a theatrical showing of the movie and we were going to dress up, costumed as the movie characters, as everyone so often does - - but I had no idea whom I could go as. My friends all said I could easily go as "Rocky!" I didn't show it on the outside at the time, but inside, I was glowing with excitement and pride!
      June 20, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

• As you should be! :) not many people could pull off going out in public in a gold speedo :) As much as I like that movie,  I've never gone to a theatrical showing of it :/ I've heard it's tons of fun though:) 
      June 21, 2017 11:39 AM MDT

Now I'm embarrassed that I shared that story! Ha! (DEEP down, though I enjoyed what my friends said, I doubt I would have gone as Rocky. I don't think I had the physique to pull it off.) We ended up not going in costume anyway, ha!
    Thanks for not berating me, like, "A little stuck on myself" type of thing.

I think I've only gone twice to a theatrical showing of the movie -- it is fun, yes!
      June 21, 2017 11:55 AM MDT

• lol :) you're so sweet , Welby:) like I said " as you should be glowing with pride and excitement" when you got it , flaunt it. We only got it for a short time ;)
      June 21, 2017 12:01 PM MDT

Hey, thanks, Jaime!
      June 21, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

'Georgie Girl'.  My high school job was working in a movie theater. I don't remember how long that movie played, but I heard that song several times a day for weeks and week, plus it played on the radio frequently.

June 19, 2017 3:36 AM MDT

That was their farewell concert in London in 1968.
    My mother's favourite band was the Seekers. She never got to see them play live in the sixties, so when they got back together for a reunion tour I made sure she got a ticket. She called me the next day, still blissed out, to thank me for "the best night of my life".
    The single version was a little different from the movie, particularly the lyrics:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9Mwyr2KxY This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 19, 2017 1:46 PM MDT
      June 19, 2017 6:01 AM MDT

I just watched the opening credits/scene you posted to the movie and it made me sort of cry. I've never seen this movie and I know nothing about it except hearing the song. It looks like a movie I might like, perhaps.

That female lead singer in The Seekers has a gorgeous voice! Stunning!
    Thanks, Slartibartfast.
      June 19, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

Judith Durham. Still singing at almost 74, hasn't lost much. She suffered a cerebral haemorrhage four years ago, it was music that brought her memory back.
      June 19, 2017 4:58 PM MDT

Wow! Simply "Wow!"

And I like her stage presence in the video JaneS posted -- I bet I, too, would have liked to have been at the concert you got tickets for your Mom for.
    I've not heard this song enough in my life to realize how good The Seekers are as a group. and I would not have recognized the name Judith Durham -- but, I'll say it again, her voice is phenomenal. I bet I would never tire of listening to her and The Seekers.
      June 19, 2017 5:07 PM MDT

I love this song and I love The Seekers singing it!
    Thanks, JaneS!
    I like how you added your work details in how often you heard the song. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 20, 2017 9:55 PM MDT
      June 19, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

Dr Zhivago. Utterly forgettable movie, but Lara's theme was haunting. "Somewhere, my love ..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=issQMeNinIQ
      June 19, 2017 6:12 AM MDT

This is another movie I've never seen. But I agree with you wholeheartedly about the theme to the movie!
    Thanks, Slartibartfast!
      June 19, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

And don't forget Lawrence of Arabia!
      June 19, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

That's another "definitely!" from me, too!
      June 19, 2017 5:11 PM MDT