Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Where do you draw boundaries with a serious mentally ill person?

Where do you draw boundaries with a serious mentally ill person?

This has been weighing on my mind a lot lately. I have posted about abuse I had from my mother since childhood here before, but this query bases around if you have ever known a sociopath yourself, or if not, where would you draw the line at their illness, or them just being mean or cruel? A short history is my mom has OCD, is manic, borderline personality and also borderline sociopath- she rages, curses, hits, screams, threatens and has even threatened my life once and her own. She is obscenely obnoxious and excessively clean- but when she has a RARE moment of 'how did such and such go?' you can see a tiny TINY spark of humanity inside. It is so rare but yet she shows this to her mother, and strangers, often. A mask , and then tells me people 'love her'... so when she is being kind and humorous with THEM, but never with me , for years, I know she is capable of kindness in 'some' way. She then says the most cruel and horrible things to me about myself, and I don't see it as illness at that point, I see it as mean or cruel. (b/c she was not that way with them..) The thing is I Know she is ill ... the ocd, the excessive repeating herself, the becoming enraged over even a cup knocked over- where would YOU draw the line though between an illness and being downright vindictive, and would you completely cut yourself off from such person? (yes even if a parent)

Posted - June 18, 2017

Responses

There's no point in drawing a line or in having a diagnosis. Is the person toxic? If yes, they need to be gone from your life.
      June 19, 2017 1:09 AM MDT

Ty J... always appreciate your kindness. she is very toxic YES. However I think I meant also to say, 'is there any line to distinguish, is it the illness or just cruel ...?' I think it is both now looking and thinking about it.. I'm entering therapy soon so I hope that might help me gain the confidence to be able to leave; ty for saying that indeed YES they need to be gone from your life.
      June 19, 2017 10:55 AM MDT

I can relate to what you are going through. I have a family member just like that.  For years I made allowances for her behavior because of her illness, but since I could see her controlling her behavior when it suited her, it was confusing. It is possible that it was me and some other family members, that triggered her. So for my own well-being and possibly hers, I no longer have contact. If you are not providing anything to your mother that she relies on, and she is making you miserable, then you are at a point where cutting her out of your life is the right thing to do. Harder than it sounds, but worth it. 
      June 19, 2017 3:20 AM MDT

Yes exactly Jane.... you could see the behavior 'when it suited her' ....my 'mother' also grew up with NO rules, NO authority and NO consequence.. she admitted that that my grandmother let her say and do whatever... yet denies her awful and obscene behavior. I'm glad you cut ties with that family member. sometimes I think, when i have the resources and 'me' to get out on my own (its been so hard when u feel you have no foundation, no self, no confidence .. and no person or friend to help you when u do get out)that I'll get guilty and think 'well maybe it was the illness' or 'Maybe 'sometimes' she was ok' (those times are VERY very few, yet b/c I was made to believe FULLY i was nothing, I still even almost defend this very sick woman in my head. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to be free of it, and it is VERY hard simply b/c she's 'your mother'.  Ty for saying it  IS the right thing to do. Have a wonderful day Jane
      June 19, 2017 11:24 AM MDT

When you remain in that kind of situation, you are enabling them to make your life a living hell.  You're a big girl.  It's time for you to get a job that pays you enough money to move out of your parents' home and live on your own - even if it's only a rented room until you can get on your feet financially. 
      June 19, 2017 9:07 AM MDT

if shes being abusive i wouldnt see her at all
      June 19, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

Thanks Pearl.... appreciate that
      June 19, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

Why don't you get some GOOD counseling?    There is nothing wrong with talking to everyone about this, but you really need a professional to get you OUT of this rut you want to stay in.

June 19, 2017 7:30 PM MDT