Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Words are not violence". So saith a Pol. What about words that promulgate/encourage/support/demand violence? Are they benignly fine/divine?

"Words are not violence". So saith a Pol. What about words that promulgate/encourage/support/demand violence? Are they benignly fine/divine?

Posted - June 19, 2017

Responses

What about plays that murder politicians? Tweets that advocate violence? Posts on Q&A sites and social media calling for violence?

Yes, they all need to stop.
      June 19, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

The play is Julius Caesar - are you suggesting that Shakespeare had Donald Trump in mind when he wrote that play?  The production has taken some poetic license in using modern day dress.  I fail to see how that advocates violence other than the story which was originally written by the author.  If people are put off by the production, they won't go see it. 
      June 19, 2017 8:41 AM MDT

Yes...that is the play. Ceasar is dressed to look like Trump. 
    Would you say the same if the "Caesar" looked like Pres Obama or Clinton (either Bill or Hillary)? I would be complaining in all of those ​cases.
      June 19, 2017 8:57 AM MDT

Dressed to look like Trump?  Why - because they have him in a suit?  If it was intended to look like Obama, the actor would be black.  What would you say if the cast was black?  Not sure how one would make Caesar look like Bill Clinton.  As for making it look like Hillary, let's not be completely ridiculous - Caesar was a man, not a woman.  People see in this play what they want to see.  We still have freedom of speech and expression. 
      June 19, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

The actor has light hair with a bad comb over....
    Obama would not be hard. A black guy with short hair and big ears. 
    Bill older gray haired white guy with same hair style. 
    Just because a story was written with a particular gender in mind does not mean it can not be switched. So Hillary would not be out of the question. I have seen many shows that did that. Scrooge has been played by both male and female.
      June 19, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

You know what?  I think you just want to be offended and so you are.  Anything that in even the slightest way criticizes your idol offends you.  Too bad - we still have freedom of speech - deal with it.
      June 19, 2017 9:51 AM MDT

Trump is not my idol...in any way. 
    So I guess you would be ok with any of the other politicians being "Caesar"?
      June 19, 2017 10:54 AM MDT

Yes, I would be because it is free speech and it is the expression of the play's producer based on an almost ancient writing.  If it offends you, don't watch it.
      June 19, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

Fair enough, at least we are both consistent. 
      June 19, 2017 2:14 PM MDT

Exactamundo! :):):)
      June 20, 2017 2:32 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Tuesday to thee.
      June 20, 2017 2:32 AM MDT

So saith the law.
      June 19, 2017 12:30 PM MDT

true but it can also lead to violence
      June 19, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

I think it depends 'what' words or words. In the extremely hard case of trying to place my mother in a mental health facility, I have to be able to say if she was A. a threat to herself, or B. a threat to others. Yes she was both. I have put it off for YEARS thinking well she is ill, well, she was this/that.. but the fact is she has threatened even my life and her own... and those are Words only... violent ones. Also, screaming is domestic violence, which is not even 'physical'.. so I think words can most surely be violent/violence. It all depends on the way in which they are thrown or used. If you only said 'I can't bleep bleep stand this traffic.' I wouldn't consider it violence as you are not degrading, threatening or mocking anyone. Interesting question Rosie, as always...
      June 20, 2017 5:08 PM MDT

My condolences to you Baybreeze for having had to experience such a sad turn of events with regard to your mom. Thank you for your very thoughtful analysis in response to my question and also for sharing your personal experience. Inflammatory words are weapons as surely as loaded guns are. They can incite riots and have. Thank you for the compliment and your reply. I appreciate both! Happy Thursday! :)
      June 22, 2017 2:54 AM MDT