Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Best advice for taking care of a baby bird?

Best advice for taking care of a baby bird?

I came across a baby bird while I was out today. It looked as if it couldn't fly, but it did not appear to be hurt. I left it water. I'm pretty certain it's still close to its nest, but it's obviously in danger due to the heat and predators, like stray cats. Was it better off being left where it was or should I have taken it with me and tried to keep it safe?

Posted - June 20, 2017

Responses

• This article is very good with a lot of info.

Caring For Orphan Wild Baby Birds - Rescuing Them, Raising Them ...

June 20, 2017 6:15 AM MDT

If you touch the bird with your hands, the mother will not care for it.  When my sister's cat took of after a baby bird, she used rubber gloves to help it and then the mother came to its rescue.
      June 20, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

Not true for all birds.  I have touched quite a few babies whose mum continues right on after I put them back into the nest.  The babies try to fly after their mum and fall right to the ground.  I've seen it a couple of times.  They like to nest in hanging planters of Begonias out back.   My bird friends are Quail.
      June 20, 2017 6:29 PM MDT

If I said it was black, you would say it was white.  You're the most contrary person I've ever met.  Why don't you do me a big favor and scroll past my comments and I'll do the same for you.
      June 20, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

Are you not used to being corrected?  
      June 20, 2017 7:30 PM MDT

You seem to feel that I need to be corrected all the time.  Well, I don't think I do, so buzz off.
      June 20, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

you could ask animal control to help you with it
      June 20, 2017 3:18 PM MDT

Is it in your yard?  Keep an eye on it.  If you know where the nest is you could return the little fellow.  Give mom plenty of time to do it herself.  I don't know how they do it but I know they do.  I've in the past waited a while and then if mom doesn't collect him I put him back in the nest.  But, the nest is on my back in a hanging planter. :)  Easy to reach.  Once one fell off of a nest on my 2nd floor balcony to the ground.  I went to look for him and he had hidden under the AC unit.  It was pouring rain.  I forgot about him but the next day he was back in the nest.  So.  That's all I know about that. 
      June 20, 2017 6:35 PM MDT

You have a hanging planter on your back?
    Wow that must make it tough to sit down.
      June 20, 2017 10:05 PM MDT

Where I live, we have a wildlife rescue in driving distance.  I take any orphaned baby there.  

I did care for a baby bird once that successfully grew into an adult.  The problem was that he didn't want to leave me and got too accustomed to human handling.  That is when I heard about the wildlife rescue.  I admit I got an earful from some snot volunteer there about how I kept the bird longer than I should of.  Heck, what did I know?  I thought I was doing a good thing by raising it.  They did take the bird in to acclimate him to the wild.  
      June 20, 2017 9:00 PM MDT

• "If all else fails, introduce it to a cat and then bring me that "BAD" cat!!"

June 22, 2017 1:20 AM MDT